a visitor from some point straight up

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Couch Tomato, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Senior Member

Russian & Dutch
    He knew Mrs Wilson believed him to be a visitor from somewhere else, perhaps some point straight up, miles out, but nowhere on the surface of her own earth, which was square and shaped by the streets of Brooklyn.
    (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English 3 - Student's Book with Answers)

What is meant by some point straight up? Does he mean north (= up)?

Thank you in advance.

2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    I am fairly certain the person is referring to U.F.O's/outer space/celestial beings/aliens. ;)

That being said, I need more context. It very well could be that they are referring to up-state New York (north). I'd need more surrounding context to be sure. :)

3. Couch Tomato

Russian & Dutch
    Thank you, Filmsith.

Yes, of course, now it is obvious to me too as he says nowhere on the surface of her own earth.

Edit - responding to your edited message:

Unfortunately, there isn't much more relevant context. It's a short paragraph, and the preceding one deals with a different issue. I thought perhaps that that 'on the surface of her own earth' was meant metaphorically - 'earth' represented the area where she lived and thus 'up' would be 'north'.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    He may just be speaking metaphorically. Often if someone deems another person "strange" or "different" they will be said to be almost "alien".
    Most likely this woman thinks he is odd and is looking at him as if he were an alien; not actually thinking he is one.

That would be my best guess. :)

5. Couch Tomato

Russian & Dutch
    Thank you, Filmsith.

6. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    You are welcome. :)