a vocabulary list

< Previous | Next >


New Member
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for a word in English and can't seem to find the right one.
What do you call a list of vocabulary and phrases or grammar you prepare when you're studying for a test?

For instance, I've got to learn:

-a fridge, a microwave, cupboards, etc

-Hi, how are you?
-Nice to meet you.
-Where are you from?

-I'm allergic to ...., etc

I'd normally call it a word list, but it's not just vocabulary that's on my list. A checklist is a list of things to do, not language expressions to learn... A language bank seems awkward...

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.
  • joan.na

    New Member
    I want my students to create such lists so that they can always refer to them throughout the year. We'd like to call them somehow.

    Yes, like a heading.


    Senior Member
    English English
    You could always try glossary:)

    Personally I'd call it a vocabulary whether it contained single words or words and phrases etc.

    P.S. Welcome to the forum, Joan.na:)


    Senior Member
    English English
    Yes it's maybe a bit fancy for (presumably) EFL students who just need to know what to say to doctors etc.
    Last edited:

    suzi br

    Senior Member
    English / England
    I don't very often disagree with you, ewie, but I don't think "glossary" is a viable option here. It is more used for lists where specialist and techical terms are explained in the same language. Usually in the back of text books.

    For the OP - learning, I agree with johngiovanno, "words and expressions".
    < Previous | Next >