A void email, message, letter ...

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
Hello everybody

Can I use the word void to describe a letter or email which contains so many words that lead to nothing, a kind of letter wrtten for the merely sake of being written?

• JamesM

There are several words I can think of to describe this kind of letter, but "void" is not one of them, at least not by itself. Each has a different shading of meaning:

"Prattling, prolix, verbose, maundering, babbling, driveling, voluble, overblown, blathering"

JamesM

Well, an "empty" email could mean that there were no words in the body of the email. I think "meaningless" might be better, or "pointless", which implies that the communication had no point, no matter how long it was.

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
    Hmmm, ok, I will give you the context and I hope that you guide me as to which word should be better used here

''In the future, if you get more void emails -such as this one- from me, do not worry about my mental stability. Such emails would only indicate that I miss you''.

:) Thank you all for your help, sorry for bothering you

JamesM

"...if you get any more long-winded emails..." (would be slightly humorous)

"...if you get any more rambling emails..." (meaning "long and unfocused", just typing directly what you're thinking)

"...if you get any more book-length emails..." (self-deprecating but light-hearted comment)

swyves

UK English, Living in Peru
    I'm with JamesM -- "void" or "empty" would be an email with no text in the body, as people occaisionally send when their mail program is playing up. Plus, I like James' suggestions, particularly "book-length".
    I'd add "over-long" to his list; and also, in the actual case I'd try for a longer and funnier (I'd fail, of course) way of putting it.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Writing this in my own message to a friend, I might say rambling, content-free, content-lite, waffly, or any of JamesM's suggestions.
    Void would be very unlikely.

< Previous | Next >