A vous de faire l´histoir

Carla M

Argentina / español
Good afternoon.
I´m a Spanish speaker trying to translate from Fench to English.
The expression is: "A vous de faire l´histoire". I think it could be "Making history is on you".
Could you, please, help me?
Thank you very much.

Carla

• la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Bonjour Carla,

"A vous de faire l'histoire" means "Making up the story / Figuring out the story" is up to you!" but it depends on the context. Where is your expression from?

Carla M

Argentina / español
    la grive solitaire said:
    Bonjour Carla,

"A vous de faire l'histoire" means "Making up the story / Figuring out the story" is up to you!" but it depends on the context. Where is your expression from?
    "A vous de faire l`histoire" is the title of a Segui`s painting. We assume that "histoire" refers to "History", and not to "story" because of the contents of Segui`s work in the years he painted it.

Thank you, la grive solitaire.

Carla

Carla M

Argentina / español
    Thank you, la grive... ;thank you very much for your concern.
    Actually, I´m working for a museum and somebody who works with me asked for help because she has to translate the title for an identification card (I think). We don´t have much trouble with the French-Spanish translation, but we are not sure about the French- English one. We think it is a kind of play on words, given that in French (and also in Spanish) "history" and "story" are both "histoire" (historia). This fact makes the translation more complicated
    In Spanish we´d say: "Hacer la historia está en Usted" o "En Usted está hacer la historia". I could have asked in the Spanish-English forum, but I didn´t want to add one intervention (with its distortion). I´d like to know if you still think Gil´s translation is the best option. I also think it´s a good one. Thank you too, Gil.
    I apologize because of my English (I always apologize because of it in these forums!).
    I really appreciate your help. Thank you, again.

Carla

PD:Now, I see there´s another good suggestion. Thank you, egueule

Carla M

Argentina / español
    Thank you, egueule.
    In fact, the original title is French, even if the artist is from Argentina, because he lives and works in France. The literal translation to Spanish is not really good; but, perhaps the English one could be right.
    Thanks to all of you.

Carla

egueule said:
    Hi Carla, A usted, de hacer la historia seems to have been translated to
    To you, making history.

http://www.domist.net/inglese/articles-news/ZARTCASTELLOsegu%C3%ADeng.htm

Gil

Français, Canada
    egueule said:
    Hi Carla, A usted, de hacer la historia seems to have been translated to
    To you, making history.

http://www.domist.net/inglese/articles-news/ZARTCASTELLOsegu%C3%ADeng.htm
    Traduit ainsi de l'espagnol à l'anglais par Pedro Flecha à partir d'un article de Cristina Castello. On peut se demander quelle était la langue source: c'était le français qui a été traduit par "A usted, de hacer la historia" (Pourquoi la virgule, je l'ignore). Et passer de "À vous de faire l'histoire" à "To you, making history" est une "prouesse" difficile que je ne m'explique que par la retraduction.

Carla M

Argentina / español
    Gil, I hadn´t yet read your message when I changed my last one (as you can see). I also think that "To you, making history" is not a good translation. The Spanish one, in fact, is very bad.
    I´ll give the options to the responsible person for her to decide. But using this one won´t be my suggestion. I still like yours better.
    Thank you.

Carla

Gil said:
    Traduit ainsi de l'espagnol à l'anglais par Pedro Flecha à partir d'un article de Cristina Castello. On peut se demander quelle était la langue source: c'était le français. Et comment passer de "À vous de faire l'histoire" à "To you, making history" sans trop de contorsions me semble peu probable.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi Carla,

Ah, so it was originally in French after all. :) I too thought the translations into English and Spanish were awkward! Gil's a francophone and I still like his translation best--Your turn to make history. From the article I read, it seems to go with the tenor of Segui's work, too.

Carla M

Argentina / español
    Perhaps I should open another thread, but allow me just a little question:
    In my last post, should I have said "I like yours best", instead "I like yours better"?
    Thank you, again.
    Carla

la grive solitaire said:
    Hi Carla,

Ah, so it was originally in French after all. :) I too thought the translations into English and Spanish were awkward! Gil's a francophone and I still like his translation best--Your turn to make history. From the article I read, it seems to go with the tenor of Segui's work, too.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Carla M said:
    Perhaps I should open another thread, but allow me just a little question:
    In my last post, should I have said "I like yours best", instead "I like yours better"?
    Thank you, again.
    Carla
    Carla M said:
    I´ll give the options to the responsible person for her to decide. But using this one won't be my suggestion. I still like yours better.:tick:
    Thank you.

Carla
    Hi Carla,

It's fine because you're comparing two things: I still like your translation better [than the other one], but: I like your translation best of all [the translations].

Carla M

Argentina / español
    la grive solitaire said:
    Hi Carla,
    It's fine because you're comparing two things: I still like your translation better [than the other one], but: I like your translation best of all [the translations].
    I thought so, and that´s why I used it. But when I saw your post I supposed it could be a gentle way to correct my sentence. I´m relieved now so I can go to sleep. I think it´s one hour later here.

Thank you for your help
    Carla

PS: By the way, I welcome and appreciate corrections a lot

< Previous | Next >