A wacky watercooler moment

< Previous | Next >

Schrodinger's_Cat

American English
A wacky watercooler moment

wacky = pazzoide, fuori dal comune, fuori testa, matto.

http://www.reference.com/search?q=Watercooler

As a social networking tool
When used in larger companies, staff somehow manage to show up at the same times during the workday. This informal gathering is often colloquially described as meeting "around the water cooler". Topics discussed during such meetings are said to have a "water cooler effect". This means that these topics are newsworthy current events or office gossip interesting (or important) enough to start off conversations around the water cooler. Television shows that people have conversations about are watercooler shows. Conversations around the water cooler are typically of a less professional nature than usual office conversation. Cartoons are commonly found of emplyees leaning on the water cooler, frequently refilling their disposable cup.
Do I use "pettegolezzi" in this context?

• Hi,
    well, "pettegolezzi" is correct.
    In this context, I would also suggest to use the following expression:
    "angolo del pettegolezzo" = "momento dei pettegolezzi".
    So, "un angolo del pettegolezzo fuori dal comune".
    Ciao

-GS-

Italian
    Yes, it sounds strange to me too.
    I find it quite hard to translate this sentence into Italian without losing its original meaning.
    Perhaps because we can't properly render "water cooler moment".
    I can perfectly understand the meaning of the English sentence, but when it comes to translate it into Italian, I'm stumped.
    Maybe I would just write: "una situazione di pettegolezzo fuori dal comune". But I feel that something better could be found.
    When I come up with something, I'll let you know.

GS

miri

Italy/Italian
    How about simply "pettegolezzi da pausa caffè" ??

That's when/where people at work generally gossip in Italy: during coffee break at the coffee vending machine :)
    ( not only of course:D)

-GS-

Italian
    Yes, that answer is definitely better than mine!
    But the problem of rendering that "wacky" still remains... perhaps: "stravaganti pettegolezzi da pausa caffè"?

GS

Schrodinger's_Cat

American English
    Thanks to all of you.

That's when/where people at work generally gossip in Italy: during coffee break at the coffee vending machine :)
    ( not only of course:D)
    I am interested to know what expressions are used in Italy.

It's one of the pop culture things that we can all talk about the things we watch on TV, the next day at work or at school.
    http://itvibe.com/news/1295/

What's a watercooler moment you ask ?

A watercooler moment is the daily discussion that takes place in the office, around the watercooler, of what was on TV last night which was fun, fabulous, disappointing, surprising, shocking, etc.

beauxyeux

italian italy
    I definitely agree about "pausa caffè" or "macchinetta del caffè". For what concerns "pettegolezzi", in my opinion it is not the right transposition of what we do when we meet and discuss about things - TV programmes or anything else - I would suggest "chiacchiere".
    "quattro chiacchiere nella pausa caffé"; " quattro chiacchiere alla macchinetta del caffè"

beauxyeux

italian italy
    Awesome! Thank you very much.

Just out of curiosity, could you explain why do you say expressions such as "quattro chiacchiere" and "due parole"? Why 4 and 2?
    Nice question Ben...:). In effect we say fare quattro o due passi and we never use other numbers... So I'll try to find a reason...

< Previous | Next >