A was surprised by B C was Ved..

< Previous | Next >

Oswinw011

Chinese
Motorists using touchscreens in cars are being distracted
As they expected, drivers using touch controls on the screen took longer to respond to the flashing bar than did those using voice controls. Though the difference might be less than a second, at motorway speeds this would result in an increased stopping distance of up to 25 metres.
Dr Kinnear was, however, surprised by the amount of time drivers’ attention was diverted by the series of glances needed to operate the screen.

Hello,
Is the wordd During which(where) omitted in the bold sentence? Thanks.
Im confused by its construction.
My guess: Dr Kinnear was, however, surprised by the amount of time (during which) drivers’ attention was diverted by the series of glances needed to operate the screen.

Last edited:
  • Thomas Tompion

English - England
    [...]Is the word During which(where) omitted in the bold sentence?
    No, that's a correct construction.

He was surprised by the amount of time during which drivers' attention was diverted would be unlikely. It seems to suggest a longer period during some of which their attention wasn't diverted.

He was surprised by the amount of time for which drivers' attention was diverted would be possible.

He was surprised by the amount of time drivers' attention was diverted would be usual. We readily lose such relatives.

He was surprised by how long drivers' attention was diverted would be usual.

Last edited:

Oswinw011

Chinese
    Thank you, Thomas Tompion. Thats very helpful, especially the last example you posted. That reminded me of the usage of "the way" when we can say "I don't know the way you sneaked into the ward and gave your girlfriend a big surprise", which basically means
    "I don't know how you sneaked into the ward and gave your girlfriend a big surprise".

< Previous | Next >