a way to turn their neighboring countries against them

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
The original:
"Algeria didn't respond to our requests for comment. But when the U.N. accused them of mistreating migrants in this way, they described it as a way to turn their neighboring countries against them and said that it was a conspiracy from nongovernmental organizations."

My interpretation:
"Algeria didn't respond to our requests for comment. But when the U.N. accused them of mistreating migrants in this way, they[Algeria] described it[what Algeria did to migrants] as a way to turn their[Algeria] neighboring countries against them[Algeria] and said that it[somehow encouraging migrants to try to cross Algeria] was a conspiracy from nongovernmental organizations."

But it doesn't add up, particularly in 'a way to turn their neighboring countries against them'. Because it sounds to me that Algeria allegedly mistreated migrants seeing it as a way to cause friction among its neighboring countries, which I don't see any benefits to gain.

What am I missing or mistaken with?

source: Algeria Strands Thousands Of Migrants In The Sahara

• lingobingo

English - England
    Paraphrase:

Algeria didn't respond to our requests for comment. But when the U.N. accused them (the Algerian government) of mistreating migrants in this way, they described it (accusing Algeria of human rights abuses) as a way to turn their neighboring countries against them and said that it was a conspiracy from nongovernmental organizations.​

nagomi

Korean
    Paraphrase:

Algeria didn't respond to our requests for comment. But when the U.N. accused them (the Algerian government) of mistreating migrants in this way, they described it (accusing Algeria of human rights abuses) as a way to turn their neighboring countries against them and said that it was a conspiracy from nongovernmental organizations.​

thank you!

< Previous | Next >