a wedding <to plan>

jihoon

korean
Here´s the sentence from a drama.

I have a wedding to plan in nine weeks .​

And I don't get the exact meaning of "to plan" here.

Does this mean among the followings?
  1. I have a wedding that I'm planning
  2. I have a wedding that I'll plan
  3. I have a wedding that I have to plan
which one is right?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'd probably use progressive. To me, it means: I'm planning a wedding that takes place in nine weeks.

EDIT: When I reread it, I see that it could be ambiguous. Any additional context about what is happening in the "drama", jihoon? I see why James reads it as 3.

I have a wedding to plan in nine weeks .

James is essentially reading this as, "There is a wedding I have to plan, (to take place) in nine weeks."

There is some obligation or necessity being invoked.

I think the "have" has skewed the reading, if indeed the question is about 'to plan'.

Compare: "I'm taking a book with me so I'll have something to do on board the plane."

Perpend hints at a case for 1. In my example, "...something I'll be doing...".

That fits some cases, but clearly in the OP, the action may NOT have started, so "I'm planning" is not necessarily true, IF it means "I'm engaged in planning, now."

So I'd make a case for 2. I will plan it. = I have it to plan. It's an undertaking that's been committed to.

In short, let's rephrase the sentence of the OP:

I have a wedding to plan in nine weeks . ==>

Here's my situation; why I can't go away: [On my docket] There's a wedding to plan in nine weeks.
    ----

There is something to be said for James' read. I have said, 'commitment', which resembles the obligation he speaks of.

To the OP, all of us responders are drawing attention to different aspects of your sentence. Given no context and information about speaker's intentions, etc. all of your possibilities have a grain of plausibility.

===

< Previous | Next >