A week has seven days.

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,

There are seven days in a week.
A week has seven days.

I understand these two sentences are both correct. What is the difference between them? Is there any difference at all about how to use them?

Thanks in advance.

• xiao1218

Canada Chinese
    I think we should prefer the first one since the verb ''has'' suggests the possession of something, hence the subject is usually a person, an animal or other living creatures.

I think we should prefer the first one since the verb ''has'' suggests the possession of something, hence the subject is usually a person, an animal or other living creatures.
    We use the verb "to have" with inanimate objects as well:

The window has six panes.

The chair has four legs.

I agree with Thomas Thompion that there isn't much difference between the two sentences, although the first is probably more common.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Both are correct. There's no difference in meaning. The 'there is ...' construction is more natural sounding in English. Part of it has to do with the fact that the preference is for the first slot in an English clause to be reserved for 'old' or known material. 'There' is semantically empty and therefore useful for this purpose.

pad2

Tamil
    Both are correct. The first sentence gives importance to days and the second sentence gives importance to week.

These two sentences plays a vital role in work duration calculation. For example the work should be done in weeks or days.