a welcome addition to the library

conniefok

Chinese, Cantonese
This excellent book will be a welcome addition to the library of any student. <---Subject line added to post by moderator (Copyright)--->

Hey, everyone! I read this sentence in Longman dictionary, but i don't understand it. Is it "This excellent book will be added to students' libraries, and all students will like or need this book." Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • conniefok

Chinese, Cantonese
    i don't understand the word "addition". addition=extra thing? or the new thing will be added to something else? thank you in advance!!!

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    When you add this book to your library (your current collection of books) it is an “addition” to your library. It is a good book and you will welcome it to your library:)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    addition - something that has been added to something -> the book has been/can be added to your/the student's collection of books

conniefok

Chinese, Cantonese
    addition - something that has been added to something -> the book has been/can be added to your/the student's collection of books
    thank you! But I have another question. Is it the word "library" in this sentence, "library" doesn't mean a room and a building containing books, but means a group of books collected by one person.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    thank you! But I have another question. Is it the word "library" in this sentence, "library" doesn't mean a room and a building containing books, but means a group of books collected by one person.
    When you add this book to your library (your current collection of books) it is an “addition” to your library. It is a good book and you will welcome it to your library:)

< Previous | Next >