A welcome moment of levity in the collection

arzit

Croatian
it's a film synopsis, and this is the entire text:

''One man investigates the intimate relationship between the Russian people and fast food culture. A welcome moment of levity in the collection, Mc Russia sees Florian Krebs, disguised as a student in worl economics,interviewing members of the public, and making inquiries into the state of Russia's dependence on American-style consumerism. ''

i don't understand the 2nd sentence, more precisely the part i marked in bold, does anyone have any suggestions?

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I agree that this is poorly phrased. One may have a moment of levity during something that occupies a period of time: for example, a moment of levity during the play, or a moment of levity durng the lecture, or a moment of levity during his visit.

A "collection", on the other hand, is not something that normally is thought to occupy a period of time. It is therefore odd to speak of a "moment" in a collection. It would thus be better to speak of an example of levity found in the collection.

arzit

Croatian
    thank you, ''collection'' was exactly what was bothering me, at first i wasn't sure to what it refers, then i guessed it must be the the ''collection'' of films screened for this occasion (still i find the choice of word a bit strange), and then this ''moment'' somehow didn't sound good.
    well i translated it something like ''In this humorous break from serious themes...''

Packard

USA, English
    I agree that this is poorly phrased. One may have a moment of levity during something that occupies a period of time: for example, a moment of levity during the play, or a moment of levity durng the lecture, or a moment of levity during his visit.

A "collection", on the other hand, is not something that normally is thought to occupy a period of time. It is therefore odd to speak of a "moment" in a collection. It would thus be better to speak of an example of levity found in the collection.
    Is "collection" a noun or a verb? I thought it was a verb, and as such I don't find it too out of place. But as a noun, I agree with you.

Packard

USA, English
    "Collection" is a noun, of course. How could it possibly be a verb? The verb is "collect".
    I understand that, but the original was written by non-native speakers and was rift with errors. It sounded to me like" ... during the collection of ..." and was intended to be a noun.

The O.P. made some spelling corrections, but the original was much the worse for spelling too.

< Previous | Next >