a well developed window

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lalalapp, Jun 15, 2011.

1. lalalapp Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Context:
    1. Adjust the water temperature to achieve a desired dough temperature of 73-76°F. Place the bread flour, water 1, yeast and salt in the mixing bowl.
    2. Add the liquid levain.
    3. Add the spelt poolish.
    4. Add the whole wheat sponge.
    5. Mix on first speed for 5 minutes, occasionally scraping the mixing bowl.
    6.: Mix on second speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until the dough reaches a strong improved mix.
    7. Add water 2 in 3 stages on second speed.Make sure all the water is incorporated after each addition.
    After mixing, dough appears very wet and soft but still maintains the strength. It should form a well developed window. Place 5 kg of dough per oiled dough bin. Bulk ferment the dough at 78°F for 2 hours with a fold every 45 minutes, 2 folds total.

Question: Here is another question with the same context of another post. I am totally confused about the term "a well developed window", the "window" seems making little sense here.

Thank you.

2. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    I don't think your text has been translated very well (?). I don't know what 'liquid levain' (a raising agent, I would guess, but you already have the yeast in there), 'spelt poolish' or 'whole wheat sponge' are (unless you are for some reason adding a sponge cake made out of whole wheat). Or what a 'well developed window' could be, sorry!

3. lalalapp Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    The "liquid levain"and 'spelt poolish' can be found in google, but the "window" thing is really hard to be understood, anyway, thank you for replying, Gwan.

4. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Apologies, you're correct, I'm apparently not sufficiently educated in the world of bread-making. Next time I should shut up instead of being unhelpful, but it looked so bizarre I was convinced it wasn't proper English :)

I was inspired to do some googling, and it appears they may be referring to what's known as the 'windowpane test' i.e. when you can stretch the dough so that it sort of looks like a windowpane. Here's a website that has a photo and step-by-step instructions which should help.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. lalalapp Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Thank you, any reponse including critical or sceptical thought will be helpful, the right answer often comes from brainstorm, your reply is inspiring. :)