a well-kept swimming pool

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by La Mademoiselle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. La Mademoiselle Member

English
    I have translated 'There is a well kept swimming pool' as 'Il y a une piscine bien tenue', but I am wondering whether 'bien tenu' is right in the context and also whether the sentence is correct in French!

Merci pour votre aide!

2. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    Hello,

In this context, it would be more "bien entretenue".

A home (ie une maison) is "bien tenue", but a pool is "bien entretenue".

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  3. La Mademoiselle Member

English
    Sorry, but why is this? i.e. is this something to do with grammar, construction etc. or does it just sound more natural in French? Merci!

4. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    I don't think it has to do with grammar, but rather with the done thing...

Moreover, "tenir une maison" is a set expression. This relates not only to housekeeping, but also to managing relationship, etc.

It's more things (... and mistresses!) that are "entretenues".

5. La Mademoiselle Member

English
    Ah, I see. Thank you very much for your help!

6. WindDust Senior Member

Grenoble
    France
    would we also say "well kept" if it was being watched by a guardian or dog ?

If so the translation depends on the context, whether we talk about the clenliness of the pool or the fact that you won't be able to enter it without the proper authorisation for exemple.

7. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
    No you wouldn’t say ‘well-kept’ in that situation. ‘well-kept’ = ‘well-maintained’. It’s often used in connection with homes and gardens. ‘a well-kept lawn’.
    What would you say? ‘securely-guarded’ (?)

8. WindDust Senior Member

Grenoble
    France
    OK thanks, it would have been a mistake coming from a translation word to word then :eek:

And I do agree with the "bien entrenue"