a whole thing

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
continuation of this: fix some sh***t
I mean they won't actually cut your heads off, but they will try, and you'll have to deploy militarized police and you will crush them ruthlessly, but it's gonna be a whole thing, bad for profits, and just all-around a real inconvenience for you. Nosey humanitarians will butt their heads in and they're gonna make things awkward.
What's Wrong with Capitalism (Part 1), video by ContraPoints

Is "a good thing" some expression, or is it understood from context? Does it mean "expected consequences"?

And why is it "a whole thing" and not "the whole thing"?

Thanks.

• Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I've seen the video Vic. I've heard "a whole thing" used like this before but where I'm from we'd more likely say "it's going to be a complete saga" - i.e. a great long drawn out "thing"; one that will take ages to get through, or in the OP deal with or solve.

I think it's "a thing/saga/drama" etc because it's one of many things/problems which the capitalists mentioned indirectly in the OP will have to deal with. It's an additional thing for them to solve but it's not the only thing they'll face and therefore it's "a whole thing" and not "the whole thing". It's the general idea of trouble brewing for the capitalists rather than a detailed plan of what the protesters intend to do. If a detailed plan of action/protests were to be given then the protesters might say "In that case, we're going to call the whole thing off" if they felt that their demands had been met.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I've seen the video Vic. I've heard "a whole thing" used like this before but where I'm from we'd more likely say "it's going to be a complete saga" - i.e. a great long drawn out "thing"; one that will take ages to get through, or in the OP deal with or solve.

I think it's "a thing/saga/drama" etc because it's one of many things/problems which the capitalists mentioned indirectly in the OP will have to deal with. It's an additional thing for them to solve but it's not the only thing they'll face and therefore it's "a whole thing" and not "the whole thing". It's the general idea of trouble brewing for the capitalists rather than a detailed plan of what the protesters intend to do. If a detailed plan of action/protests were to be given then the protesters might say "In that case, we're going to call the whole thing off" if they felt that their demands had been met.
    Thank you for the help!:)

< Previous | Next >