a wide experience of other men

amy20082008

mandarin, P.R.China
<<Deleted by mod for copyright reasons - see WR Rules>>

A man who runs three-mile races will cease to find pleasure in this occupation when he passes the age at which he can beat his own previous record. Fortunately there is a very considerable amount of work in which new circumstances call for new skill and a man can go on improving, at any rate until he has reached middle age. In some kinds of skilled work, such as politics, for example, it seems that men are at their best between sixty and seventy, the reason being that in such occupations a wide experience of other men is essential. For this reason successful politicians are apt to be happier at the age of seventy than any other men of equal age. (from Work, by Bertrand Russell)

Does experience here refer to experience borrowed from other people or experience of contacting with many people?

• Neever

Ireland
    I would take it to mean the experience gained from contact with other people. It's a VERY strange way to put it though, but not having read anything by Bertrand Russell, I can't really comment!

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    It means both the experience of meeting other people, and the knowledge gained from meeting them.

Politics is all about "reading" people, and knowing how to handle them - whether individually or en masse. This knowledge can only be gained from experience - young politicians are full of fire and passion, urgent and forthright. The older ones are more wily, more aware of what those they are dealing with will 'buy'.

aragorn

Banned
    australian - australia
    amy20082008 said:
    A man who runs three-mile races will cease to find pleasure in this occupation when he passes the age at which he can beat his own previous record.
    My suspicion is that this is not a universally true statement

I am now 49 years old and I still do some of the things I did as a young man

I can not ride a bicycle as far or as fast as I once did but I seem to be able to obtain some pleasure

There are many other things that I do with gusto and enjoy the results even though my mental and physical faculties are not what they once were

Old golfers still seem to have as much fun as young golfers

I enjoyed my youth

aragorn

i now enjoy my age

< Previous | Next >