a wide margin

LQZ

Mandarin
In an unscientific online survey conducted by the Web site ifeng.com — an arm of the independent Hong Kong-based Phoenix Television — some 170,000 respondents, who voted on their own initiative, judged by a wide margin that the toddler’s case was proof that the Chinese people’s morals and mutual trust were eroding under the pressures of modern society. The New York Times (subscription)

Dear all,

I suppose "a wide margin" suggests "most people". Could you please tell me whether my understanding is correct? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    I probably wouldn't say "most people," but "a majority of people." And not just a simple majority -- 83,000 versus 87,000 (for a total of 170,000) -- but a wide margin, which for me might be 40% or higher, e.g. 60,000 versus 110,000.

Since they took a survey and have the results, it's a little surprising that all the reader gets is "wide margin" rather than actual figures.

LQZ

Mandarin
    I probably wouldn't say "most people," but "a majority of people." And not just a simple majority -- 83,000 versus 87,000 (for a total of 170,000) -- but a wide margin, which for me might be 40% or higher, e.g. 60,000 versus 110,000.

Since they took a survey and have the results, it's a little surprising that all the reader gets is "wide margin" rather than actual figures.
    Thanks, Mr Copyright. I've got it. :)

< Previous | Next >