A: Will he accept the proposal? B: I should say!

Fedemusica

Castellano, Argentina
Hello People I hope you're having a nice day. I've the following question and their answers

A: Will he accept the proposal?

B: a) I should say!

b) I think yes

c) On the contrary, he will.

d) What a shame!

I chose the third answer "c" but it was wrong in consequence I saw the answers and the correct was the first. I don't understand the meaning of the first answer. I appreciate if somebody could explain the meaning to me.

Thanks!

• Myridon

English - US
    Both A and B sound fine. Is that a test? If it is I am happy I don't have to take it.
    I'm afraid B is a little odd.
    Yes.
    I think so.
    I think (that) he will.
    I think (that) the answer (to that question) is "yes."
    I think yes. :cross:

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Both A and B sound fine. Is that a test? If it is I am happy I don't have to take it.
    I think B is not something we would ordinarily say. It was, I would guess, thrown in there as a diversion, as it is a literal translation of the common Spanish expression for such occasions: "creo que sí"

Fedemusica

Castellano, Argentina
    Yes boozer this is a question of my model exam! I'm having a test simlar to FCE in two weeks

"I should say!" (or "I should say so!") is an idiomatic expression. It indicates a strong "yes."
    Thanks Muttquad! I didn't know.

PD: I have to say that there isn't a context in that question...

boozer

Bulgarian
    The BNC contains at least 7 standalone 'I think yes' sentences and a total of 39 'I think yes' fragments. Sure, it is not something I would say myself but as a test question it did not strike me as wrong. Indeed, it is grammatical and not something unheard of...
    EDIT: It may be a coincidence but the BNC also produces 7 standalone I think no's :D

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    The BNC contains at least 7 standalone 'I think yes' sentences
    I see 18. Regardless, it's a small number. We could probably go through them one by one and come up with some particular reason for most of them. Compare that to 630 for "I think so." I said it was odd, not completely wrong.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I am far from the idea of encouraging the use of I think yes because I myself would not say it easily. I might drop it while speaking and thinking at the same time or something lie this. But I maintain that it is not wrong and that this is a bad test question.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Boozer. I don't think "I should say!" is an obvious answer to that question, and while "I think yes" is not great grammar, it's not uncommon in conversation.

I can sooner imagine the latter as the answer if, say, two co-workers are wondering if their boss will accept something they've proposed. "I should say!" wouldn't make much sense to me.

< Previous | Next >