A wine analogy

< Previous | Next >

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I just came back from a winery in Napa Valley, CA, so I wanted to try some wine-related metaphors. However, I am not sure if they would make sense, or sound natural. I would appreciate it if you could give me some feedback. Many thanks!

The other day, my advisor asked me why I had not submitted my homework. I told her:

My report is still brewing, and has not finished the fermentation process.

When I submitted my report, I told her:

I am glad that my report has finished aging, and is ready for your tasting.

• genine

U.S. English & Mexican Spanish
    I just came back from a winery in Napa Valley, CA, so I wanted to try some wine-related metaphors. However, I am not sure if they would make sense, or sound natural. I would appreciate it if you could give me some feedback. Many thanks!

The other day, my advisor asked me why I had not submitted my homework. I told her:

My report is still brewing, and has not finished the fermentation process.

When I submitted my report, I told her:

I am glad that my report has finished aging, and is ready for your tasting.
    I think it's quite witty and makes sense, too. (if your paper was indeed about wine/wine tasting.) ;)

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, my paper has nothing to do with wine tasting. How would I make the sentences sound more natural but witty at the same time?

genine

Why do you want a wine analogy if the paper isn't related to wine? What's the link?

I'm sorry. I see you explained it allready. In that case, does you professor know that you went to a wine tasting? If so, then what you wrote is still fine!

Last edited:

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello :)

I like that analogy! If your teacher doesn't know about your wine-tasting tour, then you might perhaps add an introduction to your words:

"Like a good wine, my report needs time to develop. ..."

Elwintee

England English
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, my paper has nothing to do with wine tasting. How would I make the sentences sound more natural but witty at the same time?
    I think your wit might be wasted on a tired, perhaps grumpy supervisor. Does he/she have 30 other papers to look at? He/she might be grateful for a factual note ("I'm still preparing my report..."), rather than a laboured attempt to be witty. Sorry if I sound grumpy myself, but I revere plain English. Of course there is a place for wit and clever analogies, but they have to be aimed at the right recipient(s).

genine

Easy there, buddy. It is also possible that this person feels close enough to this other person to make said comments. He had an honest doubt, and looked to us for help, then politely thanked us.

Elwintee

England English
    Easy there, buddy. It is also possible that this person feels close enough to this other person to make said comments. He had an honest doubt, and looked to us for help, then politely thanked us.
    Yes, I agree I may have been over 'grumpy' - as I did say in my post. It's just that in dealing with language we are also dealing with communication, and it's important to imagine the recipient's possible reaction. I apologise if I wrote out of turn.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    daniel,

In my opinon, what you wrote was cute and witty.

If your advisor has an ounce of humor, they'd think that, too.

That is, if your work was turned in on time and was very well done.

Otherwise, funny or not, your attempt at getting a smile out of that person was probably not very successful - not because you didn't express it correctly and humorously, but because they might have felt you were trying to impress them with jokes instead of your academic skill.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Yes, Angel. I would like to follow up with you about your previous comments. I turned in my homework assignment on time. For future reference, could you please help me improve my wine analogy? Many thanks!

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Daniel,

Your analogy - or your play on words or pun as we call this in AE - was very funny and totally well written.

Sowka's contribution was really good, too.

:D

< Previous | Next >