a wink-heavy turn

< Previous | Next >

Yujan Chou

Chinese-China
I was reading a film review of Deadpool, and I was wondering what "wink-heavy" meant in the sentence below:
Reynolds recovers from the embarrassment that was The Green Lantern with a wink-heavy turn that mixes hemlock in with his familiar smooth charm.

• Barque

Tamil
    A turn here is used to mean a performance - Ryan Reynolds's performance in the film.

I suppose "wink-heavy" probably means with a lot of subtle jokes - the film "winks" at the audience after each such joke, so to speak. Perhaps there are scenes spoofing those from other films?

Yujan Chou

Chinese-China
    I suppose "wink-heavy" probably means with a lot of subtle jokes - the film "winks" at the audience after each such joke, so to speak.
    Thanks, Barque. But if so, how would I interpret the collocation from the following sentence that I just found by googling "wink-heavy": "...now 41, [Idris] Elba is six feet and three inches of smooth muscle, with a pleasantly symmetrical face, smouldering eyes, and the type of wink-heavy charm conferred only on fictional Disney characters and mythical movie stars."

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    I'm trying to figure out the connection between fictional Disney characters and mythical movie stars.

If I had to guess, then from the reference to movie stars, I'd say it's supposed to mean he's got a "suggestive" sort of charm - something partly concealed.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think this is the source of the review:
    Deadpool review: cheap, exploitative, unreconstructed rubbish
    It mentions that (the hero) Deadpool’s quips are more profane and self-conscious than Iron Man’s, but both heroes use humour as a way of distracting from accumulating preposterousness.

That suggests to me that Reynolds has a conspiratorial attitude to the cinema audience - he makes it obvious that the character is not to be taken seriously, and exploits this knowing attitude for comic effect.

< Previous | Next >