a woman who has been cheated on

Not open for further replies.
What do you call the person that has been cheated on? Specifically, the woman whose husband cheated on her. And the man version if it is different.
I can't find an answer any where!
(I do not want the names of any other people involved in the love triangle. )
  • Uncle Jack

    Senior Member
    British English
    Amazingly, there does not appear to be a word for a woman who has been cheated on. Well, there is "cuckquean", (OED has citations from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries), but it has never been popular and now appears to be used (inasmuch as it is used) for a type of voyeurism.

    The male term "cuckold" was generally used as a term of derision, whereas modern usage might want a term to suggest pity or sympathy, which might be why, as Englishmypassion says, it is now now dated.


    Senior Member
    USA, English

    From Google Definitions.

    Dictionary result for adulteress
    1. a woman who commits adultery.
    Well, I am that woman. And I am thinking of a band name. Something along the lines of Mary and the Home-wreckers ... but that's kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for. Could a person or people be considered to be "home-wrecked"?


    Senior Member
    USA, English
    Mary and the Disenfranchised, though "Mary and the angry ones" sounds more direct.

    But does a band really want to make a single event, that is of supreme importance now but of less importance later in life, so elevated as to be the name of their band?

    Or Mary and the Dark Sheep.:)


    Senior Member
    USA, English
    Why not simply "victim"?
    Or in some cases, "beneficiary". It all depends upon how the "victim" feels about the cheating. There is an entire class of deviants that like to watch their husbands cheat on them.

    And then there are those who can't wait for him to cheat so they can get a good divorce settlement. So I don't know if "victim" will work universally.
    India - Hindi
    For such a man "wittol" is another dated word but nothing except "cuckqueen" comes to mind for the female equivalent. The word "cuckold" has been derived from "cuckoo" (a cuckoo fools crows into incubating her eggs and raising her chicks by laying eggs in crows' nest). So the implication is that if a man has been cuckolded, he's raising another man's child(ren) unknowingly. That wouldn't happen to a woman, since she will know whose the child is (usually), so no need was felt for the feminine equivalent.
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    USA, English
    The sign of horns is a hand gesture used to indicate that someone has been cheated on:

    This from Wiki:

    Offensive gesture[edit]
    In many Mediterranean and Latin countries, such as Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela and Uruguay,[5][6][7][8] when directed towards someone and swiveled back and forth, the sign implies cuckoldry; the common words for cuckolded in Italian, Greek and Spanish are cornuto, κερατάς (keratas) and cornudo, respectively, literally meaning "horned".[9] During a European Union meeting in February 2002, then-current Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi was photographed performing this gesture behind the back of the Spanish foreign minister.[10]

    Sign of the horns - Wikipedia

    So I would suggest the cornuto/cornudo or cornuta??/cornuda?? for women.

    Though "Mary and the Cornudas" might be a name understood by very few.


    Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'm afraid that unfortunately this thread has turned into a list of possibilities with no clear-cut answer, and as such it's outside the scope of our forum.

    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, which I hope Maryhadalittlelamb has found useful. DonnyB - moderator.
    Not open for further replies.