A woman who steals a man away from his current partner?

AVim

Chinese
Is there a word to describe a woman who steals a man away from his current partner?

What is it? Mistress?
Thanks.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Is there a word to describe a woman who steals a man away from his current partner?

What is it? Mistress?
    Thanks.
    There are a lot of rude words, of course, AVim. She would become his mistress, in the language of forty years ago, and his new partner in today's language, unless the relationship was very transitory and she found she'd made a terrible mistake.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    A term you might use, that would be widely understood, is "man-stealer".

Whenever you go to a party with you boyfriend, be careful if that man-stealer Donna is also there.

If the man who is stolen is someone's husband, the term "homewrecker" might be used.

ace02nc

English - United States
    A common word in AE (may be true in BE as well, not sure?) for a woman who steals a man away from his partner is "homewrecker". A "mistress" is a woman who is with a man while the man is still married. While it's, of course, still not socially acceptable (depending on your point of view) it doesn't necessarily mean that she stole him away. A homewrecker implies that the woman broke up a relationship - and therefore a home - in some cases.

Dimcl

Canadian English

What is it? Mistress?
    Thanks.
    "Mistress" is a rather old-fashioned word these days although it is still used. It means the girlfriend of a married man. It does not necessarily mean that she stole him from his current partner. Suppose a married man has been seperated from his wife for 2 years but is not yet divorced from her. He found his new girlfriend a year ago (she did not "steal" him from his wife). Technically, because he is still married, the girlfriend is his "mistress".

AVim

Chinese
    Hi, everybody, many thanks to you.

I think 'mistress' is a female and I suppose the word 'home-wrecker' can also refer to a male, am I right?

Brioche

Australia English
    Mistress is old-fashioned these days, in part because the job no longer exists.

Not to put too fine a point on it, a mistress was effectively a personal prostitute. She provided sexual favours for one man, who supported her financially. There was no suggestion that the man and mistress would marry.

It was once a very common arrangement among the wealthy, whose marriages were essentially for the good of the "family business". The wives were well aware that their husbands had mistresses. In some ways, mistresses were similar to concubines.

The male sexual companion of a woman was called a lover. He did not provide financial support, and married women kept these liaisons secret.

There was a double standard. It was accepted that rich married men had mistresses, but the wives were supposed to be pure and faithful to their husbands.

Currently, a person of either sex who has an on-going sexual relationship with a married person is called "a lover".

Loob

English UK

What is it? Mistress?
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure the concept of a "femme fatale" who steals a man from his current partner exists any more...

Packard

USA, English
    I've heard the borrowed (from the Italian) "inamorata" used in that manner.

It is a female lover, but also a woman who makes you fall in love with her.

It might not be widely understood, however.

< Previous | Next >