a wonderful ear

< Previous | Next >

Stephen Schmidt

Arabic
Hi everyone,
What does "wonderful ear" mean?

Lehane's writing has never been sharper, with a wonderful ear for dialogue and
a knack for making even his secondary characters seem real.

---Praise for Mystic River.

• skiedge1

English - United States
    I think it´s saying that he is very skilled at writing dialogue that develops the characters in his books.

Edit: More generally, "to have an ear for" something generally means "to have a talent for" or "to be good at" a skill or art that requires listening. For example, I could say: "My brother plays the piano, he has a great ear for classical music" which means he is very skilled at playing classical music on the piano.

Sometimes we also say "to have an eye for" if the skill requires visual skill. I could say "That photographer really has an eye for portraiture" meaning they are good at photographing portraits.

For more general skills we can use the phrase "to have a knack for".

Last edited:
    An 'ear' in this case means that the author can render dialogue that sounds real. If someone read it out, it would sound just like real people talking.

Hi everyone,
    What does "wonderful ear" mean?

Lehane's writing has never been sharper, with a wonderful ear for dialogue and
    a knack for making even his secondary characters seem real.

---Praise for Mystic River.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It means specifically that he has listened carefully to how people really talk and can in turn create true-sounding, believable dialogue.

< Previous | Next >