A wonderful life

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

A wonderful life

One of my students told me she’s going to be a student of BFSU (Beijing Foreign Studies University) and she invited to go to her farewell party. Since she’ll stay there at least for 4 years (both for studying and broadening her horizons.) I wonder if I can say the following to mean that I hope everything will be well for her in Beijing:

I wish you a wonderful life in Beijing.

Thanks a lot

Thoughts:

I think mine is almost fine. Since I’m looking for a phrase which is specific for two things. Her life and study in Beijing. And it’s also a bit general, I think.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Silver.

"A wonderful life" is friendly and vague. If you want to be more specific, you know the details of this woman's life and what some of her plans are. You can always include some reference to those details and plans in the remarks you make as you wish her success.

Andygc

British English
    I think it would be more usual to say that you wish her a wonderful time in Beijing. You might hope that she has more life to come after those 4 years.

Silver

Thanks a lot, Owlman. If I simply want to make a good wish, I wonder if I can say something like "I hope everything goes well on you in Beijing", I just want to say something good to her. It contains good wishes, something about her study and life. I don't know much about her plans. She's my student and She's a WOMAN. !

Silver

Thanks a lot, Owlman. One last question: I just looked up the expression in my notebook and one goes like ".....goes well with me....", I wonder if "with" is also fine in that sentence (#5)?

Or perhaps you used "for" because "all the things are in the future, and "for" is something related to the future?

More context:

1)
    Everything's well with me.
    All's well with me.
    Pretty good. How's everything with you? (Sourece is not clear but reliable. It must come from our forum but the thread is buried somewhere.)

Last edited:

Silver

I think it would be more usual to say that you wish her a wonderful time in Beijing. You might hope that she has more life to come after those 4 years.
    Hello, Andy. Thanks a lot. Do you mean you prefer "I wish you a wonderful time in Beijing." But this sounds like she's going to travel around the city rather than to study there, right?

Andygc

British English
    Hello, Andy. Thanks a lot. Do you mean you prefer "I wish you a wonderful time in Beijing." But this sounds like she's going to travel around the city rather than to study there, right?
    It doesn't mean that to me, it just means that she's going to be in Beijing for a period of time, in this case 4 years or more. Saying "life" has, for me, an implication that she is going there permanently - "You're emigrating to America? I wish you a wonderful life there." However, like owlman, I'd be much more likely to "hope you have" rather than "wish you".

< Previous | Next >