A wonderful mouthful of prose.

< Previous | Next >

nigella_gg

england, english
Hi there
I am looking for another way to say a wonderful mouthfull of prose. It is part of translation project for uni and i have translated teh following below into english but the part a wonderful mouthful of prose does not sound right to me. Is it just me or do others think that it could sound better another way.
cheers

Be as it may, your honour gave a wonderful mouthful of prose; and nothing less than the acute intelligence and ductility, which your honour puts into his work and finally the instinct of the artist shines within it

• winklepicker

English (UK)
    Two questions, nigella: i) what languages are you translating to and from; and ii) are you a native English speaker?

winklepicker

English (UK)
    In that case I'll try to be polite! To be generous, this is quite poorly phrased. You have given us no context, so any suggestions must be partly guesswork.

Be that as it may, your honour gave [you don't really give prose: spouted, maybe?] a wonderful mouthful of prose;, and nothing less than [this is the subject of this phrase - where is the verb to go with it?] the acute intelligence and ductility [wrong word - this is a property of materials similar to malleability - what do you really mean?] , which your honour puts into his work [this is an anacoluthon - see this link] and finally the instinct of the artist shines within it.

Possibly you mean:

Be that as it may, your honour delivered a wonderful mouthful of prose, exemplifying the acute intelligence and commitment which you put into your work: the instincts of an artist shine through it.

Depending on the context (not given us) Your Honour might require caps. As to your specific question, a wonderful mouthful of prose strikes me as a delightful phrase.

< Previous | Next >