a wonderful place with <some> amazing views

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
We’re here on the banks of Loch Ness and this [pointing at the castle behind herself] is Urquhart Castle. It’s a wonderful place with some amazing views.
British Council video

Does she mean that not all views from where she is are amazing, but only some? Or does the 'some' mean a considerable amount or number of?
Thank you

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    You can consider it to mean "several", in my opinion. But native speakers don't put a lot of thought into an expression like this - the speaker won't have considered how many views are amazing, so it's very imprecise.

srk

English - US
    To begin with, she's not talking about views from where she is, but about views from the castle behind her (maybe within the castle as well).

I read "some" to mean "enough of them that it is worth your while to take a look". It does not mean "not all". (The trash has to be stored somewhere, so "not all" goes without saying.)

Cross posted

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    One question: if the 'some' were omitted, how would the meaning change, if at all?

To begin with, she's not talking about views from where she is, but about views from the castle behind her (maybe within the castle as well).
    But why do you think so? After she said that, Stephen, who was beside her, looking through a telescope in the hope of noticing the Loch Ness monster, told us, continuing what she just said:
    "... and a great place to look for the monster!"

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I don't think omitting "some" changes the meaning.

When she says "It's a wonderful place..." it's unclear whether she's referring to the "here" in the previous sentence or to the "Urquhart Castle". I had assumed it was "here", and srk has assumed the opposite.

Comrade Momentai

English-USA
    No the sentence meaning would not change at all. If you really want to get technical, some is a quantifier so basically there are not a whole ton of amazing views, but there aren't only a few either.

What exactly are you asking in the rest of your post?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I also read "this" as referring to the castle. It has good views and it would be a good place from which to search for the monster. (You would be able to see more of the loch from somewhere higher up in the castle than you could on the banks of the loch).

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    We’re here on the banks of Loch Ness. It’s a wonderful place with some amazing views. This [pointing at the castle behind herself] is Urquhart Castle.

If "It" referred to (the banks of) the loch, I would expect the sentences above.

The fact that the castle ("This") is mentioned just before "it" in the original makes me put them together. So This=it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    But what still makes me doubt is those two points I mentioned above:). You can also watch this video at the website, it's called "Loch Ness Scene 2". By the way, there are quite amazing views exactly from where they are, including the castle itself.
    Loch Ness Scene 2

srk

English - US
    I watched the video, Vik, and I think you're probably right. They visit the castle ruin after talking about wonderful views. If that is their first visit, she wouldn't have known how amazing the views from the castle are.

Julian's reasoning is based on just the dialogue you gave us, and I think it's convincing. (The fact that he read your quote the same way I did is even more compelling.:D)

By the way, it doesn't look to me as though they're on the banks of the loch when she says her line. The castle ruin does look like it's on the banks. Maybe the scenes in the video played out differently than the scriptwriter had in mind. That would explain the difference between what she seems to say and what the video shows.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >