a wooden-like stick = awkward?

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

Her dog brought back a dirty, wooden-like stick from somewhere, so she threw it out.

I made it up. Would it be awkward to refer to a stick as "a wooden-like stick" which seems to be made of wood?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I think it is awkward. We can say wood-like but it doesn't fit here. (If you say a chair is wood-like, I'd think it means it is not made of wood but the look and feel of the material makes it look as if it is made of wood.) In your sentence, I might say 'a dirty and apparently wooden stick'.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    The dilemma is sort of that "stick" is assumed to be made of wood, where I'm from. :) Can you make up a different sentence, wannabee?

stez

english - australia
    A stick of dynamite; a conductor's baton; a stick of butter; a gear lever...

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I was thinking of supports for plants that you can get from some garden centres, and they are sometimes made of plastic or some synthetic material. I would still call them sticks informally.

I'm also going to revise what I said and go for stez's stick-like.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    "stick of gum", he, he.

I also like "stick-like", but I'd add "object": ... a stick-like object ...

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, there is also the proverbial "joystick" from the dark days of video games on TV.

wannabee did mention that a dog is involved, so most dogs don't fetch chapstick, lipstick ... but wait, they would fetch a drumstick. :)

siares

Slovak
    How would one call the plastic plant sticks formally?
    I never realized stick implies wood unless stated otherwise.

siares

Slovak
    Thank you stez. Is this more general? as in a stick must be wooden but a stake needn't be? My vampire films watching had me convinced otherwise.

wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, natkretep, perpend, stez, and Beryl!
    :D Sure, and plenty more besides - chapstick, lipstick, and chicken drumstick spring to mind - but I was wondering what wanabee had in mind.
    Nothing in particular. I just vaguely thought of something long, thin, black and dirty. She had no idea what it was, so she pinched it up and threw it away.:)

If we eliminate the source of all evil:)and assume the mysterious matter is round-shaped, "Her dog brought back a dirty, round, apparently wooden object." works, right?

< Previous | Next >