a word about police grill for information

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
A FBI agent grilled a suspected accomplice for several hours. During the tough grilling, the agent asked some tricky questions so that he unintentionally gave some clues ,which helped the further investigation.

I want to emphasise that the agent got information because of the suspect's unintentional offer of clues. Can I say the FBI agent elicited the clues from the suspect?

Last edited:
  • Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    How about:
    The suspect unconsciously revealed the clues thanks to the FBI agent's agile interrogation techniques.

Tom

travis1085

Canada - English
    ..."so that he, without knowing a bit, unintentionally gave some important clues".. That emphasis's the fact the suspect was unknowing of it, no?

"Which helped the further investigation" sounds a little awkward, perhaps "Which helped to further the investigation".

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    ..."so that he, without knowing a bit, unintentionally gave some important clues".. That emphasis's the fact the suspect was unknowing of it, no?

"Which helped the further investigation" sounds a little awkward, perhaps "Which helped to further the investigation".
    Is it better? A FBI agent grilled a suspected accomplice for several hours. During the tough grilling, the agent asked some tricky questions ,so the suspect let some clues slip

travis1085

Canada - English
    Is it better? A FBI agent grilled a suspected accomplice for several hours. During the tough grilling, the agent asked some tricky questions ,so the suspect let some clues slip
    ..."so that the suspect let some clues slip" sounds better. It also emphasis's more that it was because of the FBI agent's interrogation techniques.

Note, it should be "An FBI" because FBI is said with a vowel in the start.

Of course, Tom's sentence is great :)

An FBI agent grilled a suspected accomplice for several hours. During the tough grilling, The suspect unconsciously revealed some clues thanks to the FBI agent's agile interrogation techniques.

stigand

English
    I like Travis's version. Here are some further possible tweaks:

"An FBI agent grilled a suspected accomplice for several hours. During the tough grilling, the suspect unwittingly revealed some clues thanks to the FBI agent's subtle interrogation techniques."

"Unwittingly" suggests the suspect revealed the clues but didn't realise he/she was doing so. "Subtle" implies the techniques were guileful and crafty.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    which helped the further investigation.
    In your sentence further is an adjective, describing the investigation. The sentence would be more idiomatic (in my opinion) if you used further as a verb, meaning "to advance" (definition verb #2 in the WR dictionary).

"....which helped (to) further the investigation."

< Previous | Next >