A word for a place where you make jam

< Previous | Next >

sara_soderlund73

swedish
Hi everybody. A friend of mine here in Sweden has started a small scale business making jam. I can't find a word for the place where you actually make the jam. You bake in a bakery and you make alcohol in a distillery but where do you make jam?

Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance

• Elwintee

England English
    Jam factory seems to be the answer. By Googling this we find: "In 1900 the firm Hartley opened a jam factory in Rothsay Street, Bermondsey, south-east London and employed over 2,000 people."

sara_soderlund73

swedish
    Thanks for the answer. I'm not a native english speaker but the word factory seems to me being quite a big business. My friend has a small business with no employees at this time. Can you still use the word factory or is there another word for it?

a passerby

English - United States
    I don't think we have a specific word for that. I agree that "factory" implies a large operation; the phrase "jam factory" is just the sum of its parts.

I'd go with something like you used in your original post: "a small-scale business making jam", "a small jam-production business", or perhaps something like "he makes jam for a living".

a passerby

English - United States
    It would have to be "jammery", with two "m"s. ("jamery" would start off with the vowel sound in "jay" rather than "jam".)

It's apparently been independently coined several times, so it would probably work -- perhaps not in a vacuum, but definitely with appropriate ad copy.

wandle

English - British
    Instead of industrial terminology (factory, cannery etc.), you could use the homely term 'pantry': that is where my mother used to cool and store her jam and marmalade after boiling it in the kitchen.

< Previous | Next >