A word or expression which defines a chapter, an episode...

RyDroid

français - France
Hi.

I am looking for a word or expression (not too long) that can define a chapter (in a book), an video's episode (for exemple a video of 20 minutes of manga) and a volume/tome.

For the story, I need this word to describe the header of a database.

Thanks.

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I have to say that I don't understand, either. I can't figure out what you mean by "define a chapter." Chapters can have titles, as can video episodes, but I'm guessing "title" isn't the word you're looking for....?

Loob

English UK
    Hello RyDroid - welcome to the forums!

As I understand your question, you're looking for a word that can be used to refer to all of the following:
    (a) a single chapter in a book
    (b) a single episode of a video series; and
    (c) a single volume of a trilogy (etc).

Is that right?

If so, then I'm not sure there is such a word. Tazzler's suggestion of "part" was the only thing that occurred to me, too.

Perhaps it would help if you told us what the other headings are in your database?

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    Hi.

I am looking for a word or expression (not too long) that can define a chapter (in a book), an video's episode (for exemple a video of 20 minutes of manga) and a volume/tome.

For the story, I need this word to describe the header of a database.

Thanks.
    Have you come up with a word or phrase in your own language for this concept? If so then I suggest you go on the appropriate forum and try for a translation. If you haven't then it is reasonable to suppose that such a term doesn't exist in your language or ours.

Tazzler

American English
    Do you read "part" somewhere ?
    Can you try to explain why you do not understand ?
    << -- tone moderation -->> "part" was my suggestion. You asked what word would describe a chapter, an episode, and a volume. All of these things are parts of a larger whole. But I don't know what the situation is exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >