A word or phrase meaning working on behalf of others


Senior Member

I am wondering whether in English there is a word or phrase meaning working on behalf of another employee and doing his/her work for certain reasons, for example, that employee is sick and is taking a leave, or that employee has resigned and no replacement has been hired.

Such arrangements are usually temporary.

Thanks in advance!
  • sophiasophie

    Senior Member
    The verb "cover" is used in BrE:
    I am covering for John who has left/is off sick.​
    Hi Uncle Jack, thanks a lot for your reply.

    How about from the perspective of the employer? For instance, a company is preparing a contingency plan about such arrangements so that, when an unexpected emergency occurs and some employees are not available, the company can arrange for certain other employees to do their jobs.

    How would you call such plan? Is "Employee Substitution Plan" a good choice?

    Uncle Jack

    Senior Member
    British English
    I don't think I'd call it an "Employee Substitution Plan", but I don't really see anything wrong with it, and it would probably be understood. I might call it something like "cover responsibilities".
    < Previous | Next >