A word to describe a film which carries little weight

lovelymonday

Chinese-Taiwan
Hi, movie goers. I need a word to describe a war film. I would like to express the feeling of disappointment and complaint after watching it. As a war film, it carries little weight. Neither satisfying battle scene nor powerful weapons to pack a punch. So lame. Lame is the only word that crossed my mind. Is there a better word or phrase in English to express such a feeling? Thanks in advance!

• ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum, Lovelymonday:) (It's Thursday here:cool:)
    To call it lame really only suggests that you didn't think it was very good.
    Perhaps tame would be suitable: it's often used to mean 'not exciting or violent enough for someone's taste'.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I'm reluctant to suggest an adjective without knowing more about what you want from a movie.
    Using your metaphor, a film that "carries little weight" can be called a "lightweight" movie.
    For some people, this could mean a movie that is only action and doesn't make you think.
    For others, it would mean a movie that doesn't have enough action.
    You mention "disappointment", so you could also call it a "disappointing" movie.

lovelymonday

Chinese-Taiwan
    Welcome to the forum, Lovelymonday:) (It's Thursday here:cool:)
    To call it lame really only suggests that you didn't think it was very good.
    Perhaps tame would be suitable: it's often used to mean 'not exciting or violent enough for someone's taste'.
    I think that's very close to the word I am looking for. Thanks a lot, ewie from septic isle!:)

lovelymonday

Chinese-Taiwan
    I'm reluctant to suggest an adjective without knowing more about what you want from a movie.
    Using your metaphor, a film that "carries little weight" can be called a "lightweight" movie.
    For some people, this could mean a movie that is only action and doesn't make you think.
    For others, it would mean a movie that doesn't have enough action.
    You mention "disappointment", so you could also call it a "disappointing" movie.
    Thanks for the kind reply!

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I need a word to describe a war film. I would like to express the feeling of disappointment and complaint after watching it. As a war film, it carries little weight. Neither satisfying battle scene nor powerful weapons to pack a punch. So lame. Lame is the only word that crossed my mind. Is there a better word or phrase in English to express such a feeling?
    I might say:
    The film was a letdown.
    The film didn't deliver.

< Previous | Next >