a world I witnessed and was taken out of

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bigsky888, Aug 22, 2018.

1. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    Does "a world I witnessed and was taken out of " refer to "a world that I saw and actually didn't live in"?

The problem is: how to understand "was taken out of " here properly.

"I grew up very lucky, very pampered, but in no way like some of my classmates or even some of my cousins," he says. "So it was a world I witnessed and was taken out of."

Source

2. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    He did live there:

3. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    Thank you for your explanation. But I wonder here a world may refer to the living condition before the author moved to Texas. The interviewer might think the author lived in an extravagant lifestyle just like the movie depicted. But actually the author didn't live that way. So he said he just witnessed such a world and was taken out of it. And does "was taken out of" mean "was deprived of the rights to live in" here?

4. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    I take it to mean that he left that world (the extravagant side of Singapore) because he and his parents emigrated to the US.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  5. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    So the key to the problem becomes clear: what does " a world " really mean in the context? And another problem is mine: how to understand "was taken out of " here properly. Is there anyone else kind enough to give your opinion?

6. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    I gave you my takes on those problems in #2 and #4, but if that doesn't satisfy you ... :)

7. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Though speaker did not live their early life wholly in that world, they did experience or witness it -- until they was taken wholly away from it. The fact that they use "witness," along with their denial ("in now way like..."), signify that the speaker does not claim that they were in that world. Again, they are suggesting that they only glimpsed it or that they experienced that world or interacted with it in a brief or otherwise limited or sporadic manner.

8. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    Thank you for your time. So here " was taken out of " actually means: the author was taken away from that world because of moving to Texas, no matter he lived his early life wholly in it or not. Am I right?

9. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    It sounds to me like he was born there, lived there, experienced that type of life for a number of years when he was quite young, but then immigrated to Texas (he was literally taken away from that original place). So he never lived that way again and grew up for his most formative years in Texas with a different lifestyle. But he can still remember it and he has relatives he knows who still live that way.

10. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    The writer's emphasis -- "in no way.." -- underscores that while they had a privileged early life, that paart of that life was not as luxurious or privileged as that of their cousins and acquaintances. That world, the truly luxurious and fancy world of those cousins and others is the writer "witnessed" only, and from which the writer was then removed.
    the
    In other words, in saying that the world the writer was taken away from was one he only "witnessed," the writer isn't necessarily saying that he was less pampered later, only that he could no longer witness that even more rarefied world of their classmates and cousins