<a writer and a writer of plays> is what I am

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 30, Chapter Three) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Michaelis was in Wragby, talking to Clifford……)

"But could you have made money except by plays?" asked Clifford. 

"Oh, probably not! I may be a good writer or I may be a bad one, but a writer and a writer of plays is what I am, and I've got to be. There's no question of that."

I understand a writer and a wirter of plays to be a pure playwriter. And I feel the reason he emphasized he was a playwriter is that a playwriter in America at that time was more influential than other types of writers.

Is that right please?
Thank you in advance

• SevenDays

Spanish
    Hi,
    Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 30, Chapter Three) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
    (background: Michaelis was in Wragby, talking to Clifford……)

"But could you have made money except by plays?" asked Clifford. 

"Oh, probably not! I may be a good writer or I may be a bad one, but a writer and a writer of plays is what I am, and I've got to be. There's no question of that."

I understand a writer and a wirter of plays to be a pure playwriter. And I feel the reason he emphasized he was a playwriter is that a playwriter in America at that time was more influential than other types of writers.

Is that right please?
    Thank you in advance
    Michaelis sees himself as a writer of plays (not just a "writer"); that's what defines him. That's all he is saying. There's nothing in the text you've quote to conclude that "playwriters" were more influential than other type of "writers" at that time in America. Perhaps that's the case in a broader context, but I haven't read the novel, so I can't comment on what's said elsewhere in the story.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you.
    But in the subsequent paragraph, there is a sentence: And you think it's a writer of popular plays that you've got to be? I feel it indicates that only playwrite is his career.

Myridon

English - US
    The bolded part just says that he is a writer in general (he writes all sorts of things) and more specifically a playwright (a writer of plays). Don't try to give one phrase the meaning of the whole book. ;)

< Previous | Next >