a wry remark/comment

Julieonline

chinese
Hi,
I encountered the phrase "a wry remark/comment" at the WF dictionary with the explanation of "bitterly or disdainfully ironic or amusing."
I am still not sure what that phrase means. Could someone provide me with some examples or contexts where people may make "wry remarks."

I would really appreciate that!
Thanks, Julie

• much_rice

English - American
    A wife is cooking a steak & potatoes dinner for her husband. She stops cooking for a moment to look at her phone, and suddenly the whole steak catches fire. After extinguishing the flames, the couple inspects the meat: it's charred, disgusting, inedible. "Better than your potatoes," is the husband's wry remark.

Fred sits down at the bar and orders a martini. The bartender, who has the flu, fixes the drink and then accidentally sneezes—right into the glass. "I'll order it dry next time," is Fred's wry remark.
    (A "dry martini" is one with dry vermouth. The bartender has accidentally "wetted" it with snot.)

Julieonline

chinese
    A wife is cooking a steak & potatoes dinner for her husband. She stops cooking for a moment to look at her phone, and suddenly the whole steak catches fire. After extinguishing the flames, the couple inspects the meat: it's charred, disgusting, inedible. "Better than your potatoes," is the husband's wry remark.

Fred sits down at the bar and orders a martini. The bartender, who has the flu, fixes the drink and then accidentally sneezes—right into the glass. "I'll order it dry next time," is Fred's wry remark.
    (A "dry martini" is one with dry vermouth. The bartender has accidentally "wetted" it with snot.)
    Thanks a lot for the examples! Did you come up with them yourself? Very nice comedy materials :)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Question: What type of flour has a quirky sense of humour, laced with sarcasm?
    Answer: Rye flour.

Got it?
    Rye rhymes with wry.

I'll get my coat.

Julieonline

chinese
    Question: What type of flour has a quirky sense of humour, laced with sarcasm?
    Answer: Rye flour.

Got it?
    Rye rhymes with wry.

I'll get my coat.
    Hahahaha!
    Sounds like a very healthy type of flour, people should eat more of it!
    The "twisted" nature of wry humour is palpable in your example :) Thank you for sharing it with us!

< Previous | Next >