a young college-educated adult

< Previous | Next >

dcx97

Banned
Hindi - India
Hello,

In the following:

a young college-educated adult who is employed in a well-paying profession and who lives and works in or near a large city

Shouldn't there have been a comma between "young" and "college-educated"?

Source: Definition of YUPPIES

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I wouldn't use a comma after 'young' because I regard 'college-educated adult' as one unit. At least I have no reason not to view the phrase this way. In some textual contexts 'college-educated young adults' might be the required arrangement, but in that case I'd see 'young adults' as one unit.
    Here's another example: we're talking about 'hand-made shoes' which cost a lot of money. 'Lobbs are the best-known makers of hand-made, very expensive shoes.' To me, that sounds strange because we aren't talking about 'very expensive shoes'. It should be 'very expensive hand-made shoes.' There's only one adjective, 'very expensive', so there's no need for a comma.

There are sometimes differences between American and British punctuation, or even between individuals. Use of hyphens is a good example, by the way.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Both are perfectly fine.

a young, college-educated adult = an adult who is young and college-educated

a young college-educated adult = a college-educated adult who is young

Packard

USA, English
    I was taught to always put a comma between adjectives. Later I found that the "rule" was not followed religiously by many writers, but I always feel "safe" using the commas. The final adjective is separated by "and".

Packard is handsome, brave, intelligent and witty; characteristics that we should all aspire to.
    (A perfect sample sentence in my opinion.:D)

< Previous | Next >