AA/AAA batteries

missTK

Norwegian
How do you pronounce this? I think I've seen or heard "double A", but is that standard or are there differences between for example British and American English? Would you say "triple A" for AAA, too?
Thanks in advance!

• Carrie2

English, UK
    Yes, I'd say "double A" and "triple A", or "eh eh" and "eh eh eh", if you see what I mean. Admittedly "eh eh eh" is a bit of a mouthful!

Vinlander

Canada, American English (mostly)
    How do you pronounce this? I think I've seen or heard "double A", but is that standard or are there differences between for example British and American English? Would you say "triple A" for AAA, too?
    Thanks in advance!
    Yes it is standard. One might hear AA (eh eh) batteries I suppose, but AAA (eh eh eh) sounds very odd to me. But, this may vary by locality, BE being different in many cases from AE and different in turn from AZ, Indian, West Indian, &c. English. But in my Canadian English, it is standard.

Vinlander

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    We say "ay ay" (or "eh eh") for AA, and "triple ay" for AAA, in my part of London. However, other people in the rest of the UK might say something different, who know?

I would have thought that whatever is shorter would be more widely used… even though "pronunciation comes in a variety of flavours" :)

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    In America we say "double A" and "tripple A" as stated above.

In fact, "I need double A's/tripple A's" is recognized as meaning batteries, whereas I would not recognize "I need ay ay's" as refering to batteries.

JamesM

In America we say "double A" and "tripple A" as stated above.

In fact, "I need double A's/tripple A's" is recognized as meaning batteries, whereas I would not recognize "I need ay ay's" as refering to batteries.
    I agree. "AA" is a famous acronym for Alcoholics Anonymous, a support organization for recovering alcoholics. That's the first thing that would come to mind if someone said, "A-A".

I've only heard "double A('s)" and "triple A('s)" for batteries.

Elwintee

England English
    I agree. "AA" is a famous acronym for Alcoholics Anonymous, a support organization for recovering alcoholics. That's the first thing that would come to mind if someone said, "A-A".

I've only heard "double A('s)" and "triple A('s)" for batteries.
    I support Teafrog. There is a clear AE/BE divide over this, as in so many other questions. It is very helpful to learn the lingo for when I go from my home town (London) to the USA. :)

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    We also have that, as well as the AA = Automobile Association (roadside car rescue). We simply say AA for all, but people understand which we refer to when we are talking about batteries, car brake down or alcoholism :D

L'Homme Inconnu

English English
    Good evening, everyone!

I think generally in BE we would say, as Teafrog and Elwintree say, "eh-eh". I personally wouldn't say "eh-eh-eh" for AAA as it's too much of a mouth full!

The contrast between BE and AE is similar to a lot of things - I think that the AE form has been adopted here, so we are increasingly using "double-A" and "triple-A"

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't know if this is really AE/BE. It would take more evidence to be sure.
    I hadn't read the previous threads carefully enough.

I'm "ay ay" for AA and "triple A" for AAA.

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    Very interesting. My first thought on reading this thread was that AA batteries referred to ack-ack (anti-aircraft) gun batteries in the Second World War and the triple-A confused me. Of course, here in Argentina, AAA referred to a nefarious death squad which operated during the military dictatorship of 1976-83 and was led by the notorious Lopez Rega, the 'Rasputin' of Isabel Perón.

That aside, and returning to the real question, I would agree with my fellow-countrymen as posted. -)

< Previous | Next >