aaaahhhh shucks

aleciram13

CASTELLANO
Hi everyone

I am confused about something that my husband told me, well, I told him first "You complete me" and he answered:

"Ahhhhhh shucks"

What aaaaahhhhhhhh shucks means in this context?

Thanks in advance

• jinti

It's something you say when you're embarrassed (or pretending to be embarrassed). It's sort of "country"/unsophisticated-sounding, the kind of thing a boy would say while turning red and staring down at his shoes or digging his toe into the ground (after a girl told him he was cute).

TravelinTom

English - Texan
    It's something you say when you're embarrassed (or pretending to be embarrassed). It's sort of "country"/unsophisticated-sounding, the kind of thing a boy would say while turning red and staring down at his shoes or digging his toe into the ground (after a girl told him he was cute).

Exactly! Now, how do you say "Aw, shucks" in Spanish? "De nada" or "no problema", as suggested in other threads just doesn't cut it.

Soy Yo

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Creo que normalmente lo escribimos como lo ha hecho Tom... "Aw shucks!" o en tu caso "Awwwwwwwww shucks!" Y estoy de acuerdo con Jinti cuanto al significado (embarrassed or pretending to be embarassed).

S Y

grubble

British English
    Awww shucks! is a very American English expression. In British English I don't think we have an equivalent so we just have to use the American phrase.

Don't worry aleciram13, it is a way of accepting a big compliment. It only has a good meaning.

Since we don't really have an equivalent in Britain I don't know how to translate it.

Yankee_inCA

"Shucks" means you are flattered and about to blush with (nice) embarrassment. "Gosh" and "gee" are just as common. They all sound a bit old fashioned, but they're fun and useful. You get a present you weren't expecting, or a compliment, and you have something to say that's fun. "Aw shucks!"