Aaron Reiss finally secured an audience with her

Vanloon

Hindi
Transcript | This American Life

We heard about this woman in New York, who an entire community calls on the phone every day to help them get around town. She's essentially the keeper of a secret map of the city. Aaron Reiss finally secured an audience with her after meeting some of the people she helps.

Q1: What is the synonym of 'secure' here?
Q2: 'her' means 'Aaron Reiss'? I think it is unnecessary. Isn't it?

Could you paraphrase the last sentence?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Q1: What is the synonym of 'secure' here?
    "To obtain"
    Aaron Reiss is the name of a man. Aaron is a male name. I think Aaron Reiss is necessary but his mother would give you a definitive answer...

This is Aaron Reiss:

(The beard is a clue...)

Vanloon

Hindi
    "To obtain"
    Aaron Reiss is the name of a man. Aaron is a male name. I think Aaron Reiss is necessary but his mother would give you a definitive answer...

This is Aaron Reiss:

(The beard is a clue...)
    Thank you very much!

Vanloon

Hindi
    So
    "To obtain"

This is Aaron Reiss:

(The beard is a clue...)
    So..Could you paraphrase this sentence please?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You may have been confused by the word "audience", which here means something like an appointment. It has nothing to do with people attending a show.
    "He secured an audience with her" means he succeeded in arranging that he could go to meet her, probably for an interview.

Vanloon

Hindi
    You may have been confused by the word "audience", which here means something like an appointment. It has nothing to do with people attending a show.
    "He secured an audience with her" means he succeeded in arranging that he could go to meet her, probably for an interview.
    Thank you so much!

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Aaron Reiss finally secured an audience with her after meeting some of the people she helps.

A person wouldn't find it difficult to get an audience with himself, so her obviously does not refer to the subject of the sentence.

< Previous | Next >