ab initio

pera_palas

Turkish
Hi,
The word "ab initio" means "from the beginning". But in the following sentence, I am confused.

The sentence goes like "Currently the school has 95 ab-initio students".

Now does that mean
A) the school now has 95 students at the beginner level.
B) the school has a total of 95 students, starting from the beginner level
C) From the beginning( I mean from the start of the school), the school has had 95 students?

I know that the context is too narrow, but sincerely there is nothing more in the paragraph. It just talks about where the school is located and who are the founders. And then directly says the school has 95 ab-inito students.

Thanks!

• panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I found lots of instances of "ab initio student".
    For example, at university level, an "ab initio" language student is a student who has not studied the language before. Source

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    It would help if we knew what kind of "school" this refers to (and where it is) and had a little more context. If it's not a language school, then panjandrum's interpretation would not apply. Is this a technical term in the British or non-American education community? If it's an American term, it hasn't gotten out into public discussion.

My initial reaction was that the school has 95 students who have received their entire education there—they began their schooling there and have not been educated anywhere else. The rest of the students started elsewhere and transferred to the school at some point. But pera palas' interpretations (A) and (B) also seem to be possibilities. I doubt that this means that the school has had only 95 students in its entire history (interpretation C).

pera_palas

Turkish
    Hi,
    This is a fairly new aviation school in Turkey. The author is Turkish. So that's why I was a bit confused at the start, thinking maybe literally the school has had 95 students from the beginning. But when I checked the school's website I see that there are actually more than 95 students (over 100). So I think that alternative is out of the question. As this is an aviation school, I believe the author means the school has 95 students who learn aviation from the beginning. What do you think?

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi,
    This is a fairly new aviation school in Turkey. The author is Turkish. So that's why I was a bit confused at the start, thinking maybe literally the school has had 95 students from the beginning. But when I checked the school's website I see that there are actually more than 95 students (over 100). So I think that alternative is out of the question. As this is an aviation school, I believe the author means the school has 95 students who learn aviation from the beginning. What do you think?
    I agree with you. The term appears in relation to aviation in a number of websites about commercial flying. Some of their students already have taken flying lessons when they begin the commercial flying course. Others have no flying experience and are "ab initio" students.

< Previous | Next >