abandon their policy

Mercedes Lin

Chinese Mandarin
The government may abandon their policy on ID cards.

Can I understand it that they(some citizens) may be deprived of their political rights ? Thanks!

Last edited:
  • AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    The sentence does not suggest that. It merely says that the government may give up a position it had been following.

Mercedes Lin

Chinese Mandarin
    The sentence does not suggest that. It merely says that the government may give up a position it had been following.
    The government may give up the position(relating to ID cards ? If not, what is the purpose the "on ID cards" serves?) it had been following.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The government may abandon their policy on ID cards.
    A policy is a set of rules. The government has rules "on" (about) ID cards. These are rules for people, set by the government. They are not rules for the government.

The sentence says the government may "abandon" (cancel, stop using) that set of rules. If it does, people won't have to obey those rules.

Mercedes Lin

Chinese Mandarin
    A policy is a set of rules. The government has rules "on" (about) ID cards. These are rules for people, set by the government. They are not rules for the government.

The sentence says the government may "abandon" (cancel, stop using) that set of rules. If it does, people won't have to obey those rules.
    Thanks.
    I think I have understood.

Mercedes Lin

Chinese Mandarin

So I think the verb abandon is normally used to give up something of the subject, rather than used to deprive others(such as the object) of their possessions/rights, right?

kentix

English - U.S.
    An abandoned house is a house no one lives in. An abandoned car is a car left by the side of the road. A policy that is abandoned is a policy that is no longer legally enforced.

< Previous | Next >