abandon

muthilltreble

English
What is it called when you take a noun like abandon and use it to describe the nature of a person or persons?

"He is an abandon."
"they are reckless abandons."

• Myridon

English - US
    Part of the problem is in breaking up idiomatic phrases. I think you want that first sentence to mean something like "acting with (reckless) abandon". Leaving out the "with", I will think his parents left him on a doorstep as a baby, i.e. he was abandoned, he is an abandoned child.

muthilltreble

English
    Part of the problem is in breaking up idiomatic phrases. I think you want that first sentence to mean something like "acting with (reckless) abandon". Leaving out the "with", I will think his parents left him on a doorstep as a baby, i.e. he was abandoned, he is an abandoned child.
    here's how I imagine it being used:

"He's an abandon. You know, a person that always goes with his natural impulses."

would that mean it's just a slang term?

dougelly

England, English
    I don't understand what you are asking, I'm afraid. Have you invented "He is an abandon"?

muthilltreble

English
    I don't understand what you are asking, I'm afraid. Have you invented "He is an abandon"?
    it was just the first example i could come up with because I have a friend in a band called the Reckless Abandons. That got me wondering about what, if anything, you call a noun being used, I guess, as an adjective.

< Previous | Next >