abase v. belittle v. demean v. humiliate

hhtt

Turkish
Abase: to make somebody or something feel belittled or degraded.

Example: Kings have power of raising, and casting down; in other words, they have power to exalt low things, and abase high things. This is the original?

Which of the followings are correct or idiomatic and have the same meaning as the original?

1) Kings have power of raising, and casting down; in other words, they have power to exalt low things, and belittle high things.

2) Kings have power of raising, and casting down; in other words, they have power to exalt low things, and demean high things.

3) Kings have power of raising, and casting down; in other words, they have power to exalt low things, and humiliate high things.

Source: Selected Words by Şükrü Nural

Thank you.

• ewie

English English
    As far as I'm concerned, belittle, demean and humiliate can only be used of people, so none of your sentences works.
    Abase is different in that it (literally) means 'make low' ... it's somewhat vaguer ... and also a lot less common than the other three.

hhtt

Turkish
    As far as I'm concerned, belittle, demean and humiliate can only be used of people, so none of your sentences works.
    Abase is different in that it (literally) means 'make low' ... it's somewhat vaguer ... and also a lot less common than the other three.
    As far as I'm concerned=As far as I now=According to me?

And is "As far as I know" idiomatic?

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >