abase [with object. Also: without object?]

bhuvanesh

tamil
I have seen the word abase in dictionary and it has been mentioned that abase should be used with only object. I do not know what that mean?
Can some one give me example for how abase is used with object and not used with object. Thank you

• srk

English - US
    Welcome to the forum, bhuvanesh. Some verbs are used with objects, some not, and some have uses with and without objects.

I'm going to highlight the object in the following:

Kick is a verb that requires an object. The player kicked the ball.

Speak does not take an object. He spoke quietly.

Work can be either way. He worked hard. He worked the clay in his hands until it was soft.

Abase takes an object. He abased himself.

An object is a noun, or a phrase that behaves like a noun, and is "acted on" by the verb. The ball was acted on through the kick.

Last edited:

srk

English - US
    We don't look at it that way. "Lara" is an object but not an object of the verb "speak". It is either the object of the preposition "about" or the object of the prepositional verb "speak about".

When I answered your first post, I didn't think carefully about "speak". It is sometimes used with an object. The following is from our dictionary. I typed the word "speak" in the search box at the top of this page and used the icon at the far right of the box to bring up the dictionary entry in a new browser tab.

to say words: He spoke a few words.
    to use a language: We tried to speak Russian.

< Previous | Next >