Abbigliamento esterno

dianadc2103

Italian
Ciao a tutti,
avrei bisogno di sapere come poter tradurre "abbigliamento esterno" (in contrapposizione a biancheria intima). La mia azienda opera anche nel settore dell'abbigliamento e devo distinguere i vari ambiti di applicazione dei nostri prodotti secondo questa suddivisione:
> Abbigliamento:
- Abbigliamento esterno
- Biancheria
- Calzetteria

> Clothing:
- Clothes / outerwear /external clothing ???
- Underwear
- Hosiery

Il generico "clothes" puo' andare bene? Oppure "external clothing"? Avevo pensato anche ad "outerwear" ma secondo il dizionario WR questo termine si riferisce ai soli capi spalla (anche le relative immagini Google rimandano solo a giacche, cappotti etc.). Altri suggerimenti? Grazie!

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    "outerwear" is definitely jackets, coats, etc.

Are you talking about women's clothing or men's clothing? The words you use may depend on more context.

Women's clothing
    Lingerie (or "intimate apparel")
    Hosiery (or "footwear" which includes stockings and socks)

Men's clothing
    Underwear
    Socks (or "footwear")

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    By the way ... It's the first time in my lif I hear the expression "Abbigliamento esterno" but I admit I am not a clothes person

You little ripper!

Australian English

dianadc2103

Italian
    "outerwear" is definitely jackets, coats, etc.
    Are you talking about women's clothing or men's clothing? The words you use may depend on more context.
    Thank you all for your contributions and sorry for my late reply. Let me better clarify what I'm looking for here. We sell equipment for the production processes of companies in the textile industry and this is just a classification for commercial purposes.

Abbigliamento esterno: we want to refer to any garment that is not footwear or underwear. We're talking about both women's and men's clothing (eg. shirts, trousers, skirts, jackets etc,). What word would be best for me to use here? I should avoid repeating "clothing" (which would've probably been my first choice) as this the title of the paragraph /the main category also including footwear and underwear.

Calzetteria: joanvillafane: thank you for your suggestion - we usually refer to "hosiery" because one of our main target markets is pantyhose/stockings but since we also sell to sock companies I'll change it into "footwear" as it's more comprehensive.

Biancheria: any type of men's or woman's underwear

Given this, do you have more suggestions regarding the translation of "abbigliamento esterno"? According to You little ripper's link, outerwear could work ... but is it commonly used that way? What do you think? Thank you in advance!

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Who's your audience, dianadc? Do you sell mainly to the UK, the US, Australia, somewhere else?

As a Canadian, I agree with joan that "abbigliamento esterno" is in fact "clothing" and not "outerwear"; "outerwear" has to do with coats and other things you wear over your clothing. I can't think of a word other than "clothing" that means "clothing that is neither underwear nor hosiery." But as YLR points out, there seem to be regional differences involved here.

By the way, I'm afraid you can't use "footwear" in place of "hosiery," because "footwear" (at least to me) means "shoes"! "Hosiery" can refer to both men's and women's socks and stockings.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Here "outerwear" is definitely used by most popular and well-known clothing companies to refer to coats and jackets. Another one of our AE/BE/Aussie E differences! Dictionaries sometimes gives 2 definitions (1. clothing for outdoor wear, and 2. outer clothing, as opposed to underwear). I wouldn't want to generalize for every English speaker in the U.S. but in my personal experience, only definition #1 applies.

dianadc2103

Italian
    A trick to make a distincion between the header and the detail line I would suggest is:

Clothing
    - clothing & apparel
    - underwear
    - hoisery
    That sounds great! Thank you for your suggestion Chipulukusu ! I just couldn't wrap my head around it ....

Thank you everyone for your help ... in the meantime I learned another difference AE vs BE regarding the word "outerwear" that I'd better not use here because my audience is international and I don't want any misunderstanding.

< Previous | Next >