abbracciare i gusti

Anna68

Italian
Hi everyone,

we're (still) talking of a new beachwear line.

"Uno stile trasversale capace di abbracciare i gusti di una clientela molto ampia in termini di età e stili di vita"

"A cross style capable of meeting/embracing the tastes of a wide customer base in terms of age and lifestyle"

Com'è il mio tentativo in inglese? Brutto, orrendo o pessimo? :p

Grazie

• Saoul

Italian
    Buongiorno Anna, ecco un paio di sinonimi:

to encompass
    to cover
    to include

My 2 cents:
    A cross style that is able to cover the tastes of a wide range of customers in terms of age and lifestyle.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    What does stile traversale mean? Does it mean the back is an X shape? If so, this is called a "cross back swimsuit".

Cross back swimwear to suit every taste, age and lifestyle.

I'd avoid saying "the taste of customers ... in terms of" - it's a very convoluted way of saying something simple :)

(Swimwear includes one-piece suits and bikinis by the way)

Anna68

Italian
    Saoul, non so perché, ma a giudicare dal numero dei tuoi posts ho una vaga idea che tu abbia una minima dose di esperienza!!! Il che non eguaglia certamente il livello di un madrelingua, ma mi da' una certa sicurezza.....:)

What does stile traversale mean? Does it mean the back is an X shape? If so, this is called a "cross back swimsuit".

Cross back swimwear to suit every taste, age and lifestyle.

I'd avoid saying "the taste of customers ... in terms of" - it's a very convoluted way of saying something simple :)

(Swimwear includes one-piece suits and bikinis by the way)
    Tegs, in this context trasversale means that this style is suitable for different kind of people, it does not concern the shape of the swimsuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Ok, then avoid saying "cross style". It implies that you are talking about a specific type of back, but you are unaware of the right terminology :D

If there is no specific style in mind, but you just want to give the idea that you have a range of swimwear to suit everyone, I'd go with just "Swimwear to suit every taste, age and lifestyle."

amatriciana

English - UK and US
    I've seen "across-the-board" used before for "trasversale", so you could say

"An across-the-board style that embraces the tastes of a diverse clientele, both in terms of age and lifestyle."

I agree with Tegs that short and simple is good and much appreciated, but the sentence is no more convoluted than what you'd find in many a flowery/prolix/adjective-heavy brochure.

EDIT: For the OP, infatti mettendo "across-the-board" al posto di "cross" nel tuo tentativo sarebbe stato perfettamente accettabile (cioè, non orrendo).

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    And one more that leap frogs from Tegs' although I think amtriciana's is quite good, as well.
    A wide range of swimwear to suit every taste, age and lifestyle.
    Note, I would definitely avoid the expression "a wide customer base" here, it made me smile, since in the context it almost sounds like you're referring to the size of women's behinds. :D

Anna68

Italian
    Quando imparerò a stravolgere il testo come fate voi (con splendidi esiti, devo dire:)) e la smetterò di cercare di essere, per quanto possibile, aderente al testo originario?
    Grazie a tutti per i vostri preziosissimi suggerimenti.:thumbsup:

amatriciana

English - UK and US
    "A versatile swimwear range which will delight/ cannot fail to delight everyone, no matter what their age or lifestyle."
    Versatile brings other things to mind, though. Sounds more like multiple uses for the same thing, rather than something that has appeal to multiple types of people. "Take a look at this delightful bikini from our new Versatile range: you pull this hidden little drawstring here and voila -- it's a burkini!"

< Previous | Next >