Abbreviate

alfa59

french
Hello dear participants,:)

I have already abbreviated on my own this sentence below:

An "Overlapping Consensus" is an idea which can give a great solution about divergent moral and religious conceptions of the good (despite their diversity) and can converge on some common ground despite the fact that citizens would support justice as fairness differently for different reasons; however a deep consensus might on justice as fairness might be impossible.

and I abbreviated again this long sentence above as possible as I could like this:
- An "Overlapping Consensus" - unlike an impossible and deep consensus based on justice as fairness - can provide one solution about divergence between conceptions of moral right.

Next,

Unlike an "Overlapping Consensus" there is nowadays a Modus Vivendi. This consensus permits of an agreement between hostile States in the world within the G8 (or the G8 is driven by a Modus Vivendi). An "Overlapping Consensus" involves only the social system within a State.

- The G8 driven by a Modus Vivendi allows for an agreement between hostile states over the world, in contrast with an Overlapping Consensus which is only involved within the social nation's system.

Who can give me other possibilities of 'condensing' of the two abbreviated sentences?

Thank a lot for your help :idea:
Agnes

P.S. No dot is allowed in an abbreviated sentence.

• Trisia

Romanian
    An "Overlapping Consensus" is an idea that can give a great solution about divergent moral and religious conceptions of the good (despite their diversity) and can converge on some common ground despite the fact that citizens would support justice as fairness differently for different reasons; however a deep consensus on justice as fairness might be impossible.

and I abbreviated again this long sentence above as possible as I could like this: - An "Overlapping Consensus" - unlike an impossible and deep consensus based on justice as fairness - can provide one solution about divergence between conceptions of moral right.
    Hello, Agnes :)

My try (but I'm warning you, I will probably get it wrong):

An "overlapping consensus" promotes justice as fairness, based on the moral principles shared by all citizens, even though a deep consensus on the matter is probably impossible.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    An "Overlapping Consensus" - unlike an impossible and deep consensus based on justice as fairness - can provide one solution about divergence between conceptions of moral right.

This sentence is very imprecise, even "fuzzy." Your word choices, like "impossible," "deep," "justice as fairness" and "about divergence" are not quite idiomatic or don't present a precise meaning within the sentence. In other words, the sentence sounds somewhat awkward and too complicated.

My suggestions:
    "
    Divergent moral and religious mindsets can find common ground and may even be solved through an “Overlapping Consensus,”; however, citizens have different reasons for supporting justice as fairness, and a deeper consensus on this issue might be impossible."

"A Modus Vivendi, rather than an “Overlapping Consensus,” nowadays allows agreement between antagonistic States within the G8 – this drives the G8, one might say. An “Overlapping Consensus only involves a State’s social system."

Trisia

Romanian

"
    Divergent moral and religious mindsets can find common ground and may even be solved through an “Overlapping Consensus,”; however, citizens have different reasons for supporting justice as fairness, and a deeper consensus on this issue might be impossible."
    I love it.

"A Modus Vivendi, rather than an “Overlapping Consensus,” nowadays allows agreement between antagonistic States within the G8 – this drives the G8, one might say. An “Overlapping Consensus only involves a State’s social system."
    You might need to change it a bit. For some reason,

alfa59 said:
    No dot is allowed in an abbreviated sentence.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I assumed "No dot is allowed in an abbreviated sentence" referred to abbreviations of words; you can easily replace the offending period/dot/full stop with a semicolon.

< Previous | Next >