abbreviation: chapter 1, page 2

islachen

Chinese
Hi everyone,
How do you abbreviate "chapter 1, page 2" when you want to point out the exact source of a quote in a novel?

The following is an example:
Dad says, “If there was a canine version of Cirque du Soleil, this dog would be the star turn.” (chapter 1, page 2)

What's the most common way to put both chapter and page together in short forms?

Two additional questions: 1. Should "chapter" and "page" be capitalized? 2. "Chapter" or "page", which one should go first?

Last edited:
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Well, assuming the page numberings don't re-start from 1 for each chapter, you can probably omit the reference to the chapter entirely, and just say "page 2".
    You can abbreviate "chapter" to "ch." and "page" to "p."

Chez

English English
    Ch1, p2

Ch3, pp3–9

Ch 6, pp21, 25, 31, 82

Note: p = page; if you are referring to several pages you use 'pp'. If they are consecutive pages, use a dash; if they are not consecutive, separate with commas.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Chapter can be abbreviated chap. as well as ch., but ch. is more common. (The full stops are always optional in such things.)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I have seen Chs for chapters. (I now leave out the full stops.) I generally capitalise Chapter but not page, because that tends to be what I encounter, therefore Ch 1, p 2.

islachen

Chinese
    Well, assuming the page numberings don't re-start from 1 for each chapter, you can probably omit the reference to the chapter entirely, and just say "page 2".
    You can abbreviate "chapter" to "ch." and "page" to "p."
    The numberings are random. What about "chapter 5, page 23"? Should it be "ch. 5,p. 23"?

islachen

Chinese
    Ch1, p2

Ch3, pp3–9

Ch 6, pp21, 25, 31, 82

Note: p = page; if you are referring to several pages you use 'pp'. If they are consecutive pages, use a dash; if they are not consecutive, separate with commas.
    I noticed in the third example there is a space after Ch. Is there a space needed after each abbreviation? Also, Why chapter is capitalized while page not?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I suppose Ch represents a big division, whereas p a smaller division. This is also the case for l, the abbreviation for line (and ll for lines).

< Previous | Next >