abbreviation for unknown

< Previous | Next >

Wouhoubob

France, french
Hello,

I'm looking for an abbreviation used for "unknown" since I use it a lot in data tables. Do you know the usual short for this term?

"ukw"?

Thanks a lot

• Loob

English UK
    Perhaps N/K would work, Bob - it's quite often used as an abbreviation for "Not Known".

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't think anything is really common. I'd go for 'unk.' if you had to have an abbreviation, but in fact '?' might be clearer - and save space.

Biffo

English - England
    It probably depends on the data. If an author is unknown then we use anon. In algebra an unknown might be called x.

I seem to remember seeing u/k in tables.

Wouhoubob

France, french
    Thanks for your answers.
    It's not refering to algebra Biffo, in that case yes I would have chosen "x". It is referring to delievery dates or serial number...etc.
    I think I'll go for entangledbank solution with a symbolic "?" or write it with smaller size :)

have a nice day

Frank Schuler

American English
    The British abbreviation for "unknown" is "unkn." Rules disallow my providing a corroborating link so please google some combo of these words: public oed abbreviations. That takes you to the Oxford English Dictionary's list of abbreviation A-Z, and for free. Good resource.

Frank Schuler

American English
    This may be the link you have in mind: [the link you provided; moderator banned my repeating it]. It's a list of abbreviations used in the OED, including 'unkn.' meaning 'unknown'.
    Exactly. Thanks, EStjarn. When I tried to include it, I thought I got a moderator message that to avoid spam I must not include links. But I see that you have tenure. I shall work on my publications to gain some cachet. Thanks again. Users here will benefit from using this OED site.

< Previous | Next >