abbreviation of Master in Philosophy

< Previous | Next >

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello,

I'm not sure if a Master in Philosophy is "Msc." or "M.A.", actually I'd like to know if "Master of Arts" corresponds to any field whithin what we call the Humanities (in Portuguese "ciências humanas", which includes Philosophy, Political science, as well as the arts itself).

Thanks in advance!

• It would to some extent depend on the particular institution. The abbreviations "MPhil" and "PhM" are used.
    Please note that an "MPhil" is not necessarily in Philosophy. The University of Cambridge (England) has an MPhil in Modern and Contemporary Literature, for example.
    Also, some Masters degrees in Philosophy do not have either MPhil or PhM as their abbreviations. I have a Masters in Philosophy but the degree was called an M.Ed. because it was in the Philosophy of Education! (And it was part of the Faculty of Humanities).
    King's College, London, does an MA in Philosophy, an MA in the Philosophy of Medicine and an MSc in the Philosophy of Mental Disorder! (Very confusing!)

Last edited:

Juhasz

English - United States
    It definitely depends on the school (both the name of the degree and the abbreviation, e.g. M.A., MA, A.M., or AM all for the Master of Arts degree).

Additionally, there's a Masters of Philosophy, which is actually a step higher than Master of Arts, and is not related to the study of philosophy (just as a Doctor of Philosophy might have studied Toxicology). This is usually abbreviated as M.Phil., MPhil, or Ph.M.)

cross-posted with johngiovanni

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
    I see. The context is a form of a publishing house I have to fill in. There is no space to mention the Institution, I just have to say my academic degree and it gives the following options:

Dr.
    Prof.
    Prof. Dr.
    M.Sc
    B. Sc
    B. A.
    M. A.

Since I haven't conclude my doctorate yet, I can only be M.Sc or M.A. My degree is in Philosophy, as well as my master. (I studied in the field/faculty of Philosophy).

So much for forms! If you have to put a tick, choose either MSc or MA. (I would probably choose MA). If there is space, write "Masters in Philosophy" or "M.Phil") in brackets.
    Presumably, your degree would have another abbreviation in your own language?

The degree "M.Phil" in American universities does not mean that you have been studying the field of Philosophy, but instead usually means that you have completed all of the requirements for a doctorate (that is, a Ph.D. degree, which can be in almost any field) other than defending your dissertation. If you have a Master's degree in the field of Philosophy (or in French, or in History, or in Classical Literature, or in any of the humanities), then in an American university you would be given a Master of Arts (or M.A.) degree in Philosophy (or in French, or History, etc.)

Last edited:

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
    The degree "M.Phil" in American universities does not mean that you have been studying the field of Philosophy, but instead usually means that you have completed all of the requirements for a doctorate (that is, a Ph.D. degree, which can be in almost any field) other than defending your dissertation. If you have a Master's degree in the field of Philosophy (or in French, or in History, or in Classical Literature, or in any of the humanities), then in an American university you would be given a Master of Arts degree (or M.A.) in Philosophy.
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >