abbreviations / abbreviated words

< Previous | Next >

Arba

Italy-Italian
Hi friends,
I have a question regarding plural on abbreviations. It is not something I can easily find in the vocabulary, so I need to ask.

I know that when we are talking about letters or numbers the plural is given by 's (i.e. 60's - CD's - AB's...) but I have a doubt on "abbreviated words". I mean, sometimes the word "promotion" is written on leaflets "promo". Can this be considered an abbreviation and consequently the 's rule be applied to it, or not?

Which is the correct way of writing the plural?
- promos or
- promo's

sentence: I like the product, so I always take advantage of their promo's

Sorry, it was not easy to express my doubt. Feel free to ask me for clarification if needed.

Thanks C

• mplsray

Hi friends,
    I have a question regarding plural on abbreviations. It is not something I can easily find in the vocabulary, so I need to ask.

I know that when we are talking about letters or numbers the plural is given by 's (i.e. 60's - CD's - AB's...) but I have a doubt on "abbreviated words". I mean, sometimes the word "promotion" is written on leaflets "promo". Can this be considered an abbreviation and consequently the 's rule be applied to it, or not?

Which is the correct way of writing the plural?
    - promos or
    - promo's

sentence: I like the product, so I always take advantage of their promo's

Sorry, it was not easy to express my doubt. Feel free to ask me for clarification if needed.

Thanks C
    We don't ordinarily think of such shortened forms as promo for promotion or phone for telephone as "abbreviations," which is reserved for a different form of shortened word or expression. One result of this is that we do not pluralize this sort of shortened form by adding apostrophe-s.

Loob

English UK
    Hi Arba

There are previous threads on this, but I'm having trouble tracking them down at the moment ...

Anyway, I think the consensus has been that we only need to use an 's for a plural when it's an aid to comprehension. It follows that many (most?) people wouldn't write 60's or CD's: they would write 60s, CDs. But they would, on the other hand, write dot the i's and cross the t's.

On the same basis, promos would - to my mind at least - be decidedly preferable to promo's.

Arba

Italy-Italian
    We don't ordinarily think of such shortened forms as promo for promotion or phone for telephone as "abbreviations," which is reserved for a different form of shortened word or expression. One result of this is that we do not pluralize this sort of shortened form by adding apostrophe-s.
    Sorry, do you mean that you would use "promos"? Or do you mean that you would never use the shortened word "promo" on a leaflet when you want to talk about plural (promotions)?

I'm asking because a US friend recommended to write it "promo's", but is sounded weird to me...

Thanks C

Arba

Italy-Italian
    Hi Arba

There are previous threads on this, but I'm having trouble tracking them down at the moment ...

Anyway, I think the consensus has been that we only need to use an 's for a plural when it's an aid to comprehension. It follows that many (most?) people wouldn't write 60's or CD's: they would write 60s, CDs. But they would, on the other hand, write dot the i's and cross the t's.

On the same basis, promos would - to my mind at least - be decidedly preferable to promo's.
    Thanks Loob, in fact I know the abbreviation's rule, but I could not understand if a shortened word was considered an abbreviation or still a "full word".
    I would agree with "promos", it sounds better to me too (but I am not native English).

Thanks C

mplsray

Sorry, do you mean that you would use "promos"? Or do you mean that you would never use the shortened word "promo" on a leaflet when you want to talk about plural (promotions)?

I'm asking because a US friend recommended to write it "promo's", but is sounded weird to me...

Thanks C
    I would use the ordinary rules for making a plural, which in this case would mean adding an -s: promos.

There are some English words ending in -o which make the plural by adding -es (echos and echoes (click on the uncapitalized "echo" under that entry) are both standard, for example, according to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). I don't know whether there are any shortened words ending in -s which form the plural with -oes, however.

Last edited:

Arba

Italy-Italian
    I would use the ordinary rules for making a plural, which in this case would mean adding an -s: promos.

There are some English words ending in -o which make the plural by adding -es (echos and echoes (click on the uncapitalized "echo" under that entry) are both standard, for example, according to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). I don't know whether there are any shortened words ending in -s which form the plural with -oes, however.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for with my initial query.

< Previous | Next >